Suggestion for added feature on Weekly Planner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for added feature on Weekly Planner

It would probably be pretty easy to add some sort of notation as to good/neutral/bad conditions for steals on the weekly planner,...steals often seem to be more influenced by the opposing catcher, than anything else, so, if there is a series where there is a weak armed catcher as the primary starter (Piazza as an example?) then there are definately more steals to be had that week. A rifle armed catcher can usually reduce the number of steals. I think this would be generally helpfull. A straight roto contest needs to capitolize on steals planning,...I play in several points head to head leagues, where steals are worth a point,...but even worse caught stealing is -1,...while looking at my situational lineups it could be helpfull to squeeze out a few more points with a couple of steals, vice only looking at the batting/pitching situation.

Originally posted by jonesat
    It would probably be pretty easy to add some sort of notation as to good/neutral/bad conditions for steals on the weekly planner,...steals often seem to be more influenced by the opposing catcher, than anything else, so, if there is a series where there is a weak armed catcher as the primary starter (Piazza as an example?) then there are definately more steals to be had that week. A rifle armed catcher can usually reduce the number of steals. I think this would be generally helpfull. A straight roto contest needs to capitolize on steals planning,...I play in several points head to head leagues, where steals are worth a point,...but even worse caught stealing is -1,...while looking at my situational lineups it could be helpfull to squeeze out a few more points with a couple of steals, vice only looking at the batting/pitching situation.
    I think this is a fantastic idea

Comment

Additionally,..there are some pitchers with terrible deliveries (long motions etc.) who are easier to steal on,...I would add this into my look at steal potentials

Comment

Additionally,..there are some pitchers with terrible deliveries (long motions etc.) who are easier to steal on,...I would add this into my look at steal potentials
        I'm all for capturing catcher data... a prior version of the Planner had that, as I recall. But how do you suggest we measure "pitchers with terrible deliveries"?

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ
          I'm all for capturing catcher data... a prior version of the Planner had that, as I recall. But how do you suggest we measure "pitchers with terrible deliveries"?
          Wouldn't that just be the pitchers with the most successful steals against? Offhand I know Wakefield and Millwood are two of the pitchers that get stolen off of a lot.
          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
          Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Came to my mind because I read a blurb somewhere about Jered Weaver and how because of his slow delivery to the plate, he hides the ball well from the batter,...but runners have all day to take a base,...and since he does not seem to have a secondary delivery,...runners will only be held based on management's green light. It seems to me there are more of these guys out there who's delivery is slow, or complex,...link them up with a weak armed catcher,...and match them with a team that likes to run and you could pick up a couple of extra bases a week making a big difference at the end of the year.
            It seems Markus has a good lead on where to start. Anecdotal evidence is great, but stats are better,.....BTW,...I think the potential here is good....I think SB's are much more predictable than we think, it's just that we haven't looked at all the factors. If a guy is fast, thats great,...but thats not what ultimately decides whether he goes or not,...it's also the catcher, the pitcher and the manager (game situation excluded because I have no idea how you could factor that, but 4 of 5 is not bad) all contributing to the players decision to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ
              A quick and dirty way to do this would be to regress sb per single + walk (or per baserunner) on the sb% for the team's primary catcher, k, bb, hr etc.. The residual value could be attributed to the pitcher's windup.

Of course, the catcher's sb% would be determined, in part, by the pitcher. So for each pitcher observation, yuo'd want to subtract out his sb/cs stats from his catcher's stats.
              The Beanball Rotisserie Baseball League -- founded 1997 (7-team, AL-only 5x5 keeper league, 40-man rosters, 25-man active rosters, very limited access to free agents)
              League Championships: 1997, 1999, 2000, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by ajc730
                A quick and dirty way to do this would be to regress sb per single + walk (or per baserunner) on the sb% for the team's primary catcher, k, bb, hr etc.. The residual value could be attributed to the pitcher's windup.
                And so you are waiting for............? Hmm? Inquiring minds want to know!
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls
                  And so you are waiting for............? Hmm? Inquiring minds want to know!
                  It's a lot of data to gather I'd have to go back five years and find and input the data manually. One of these days, I'm going to get around to this.
                  The Beanball Rotisserie Baseball League -- founded 1997 (7-team, AL-only 5x5 keeper league, 40-man rosters, 25-man active rosters, very limited access to free agents)
                  League Championships: 1997, 1999, 2000, 2006

Comment

Actually, since I have time this year...(and I am an Intellignece/Operations Reasearch Analyst by trade and training, after all) ....I might be able to nug some of this out,...but I don't have access to to good Raw data that I assume BBHQ does. I've already done a sort of informal survey of Game logs and boxscores and think I see some probable nascent trends....but a hand survey of box scores will take me till ...um...next spring?....If someone has a sortable database that includes SB, CS, pitcher name catcher name, runner name, team name...for at least two years of data (five preferably),...bet we could put something workable together pretty soon.

Comment

But I never said I could spell,...thats what editors are for...

Comment

I just noticed last night (while researching today's Speculator column) that MLB.com has SB-against data for pitchers. I think that's the first time I've seen that.

Comment

Your right Ray,...I've never been to MLB.com, but the data provided is beautifull,....unfortunately it is only this seasons data...but looks like if you want to run the bases...wait till V-Mart, Piazza or Lecroy are catching,...and Wakefield far leads the pack in 17 steals allowed,...however looks like 12 came with Josh Bard catching (I didn't back check them all, but that should be close). I have started to play with it to see if the small sample can still be usefull,...perhaps I will set up a predictive matrix this weekend and give it a run over next week to see how it works,...anything that manages to work now only gets better with a bigger sample size.

Comment

Your right Ray,...I've never been to MLB.com, but the data provided is beautifull,....unfortunately it is only this seasons data...but looks like if you want to run the bases...wait till V-Mart, Piazza or Lecroy are catching,...and Wakefield far leads the pack in 17 steals allowed,...however looks like 12 came with Josh Bard catching (I didn't back check them all, but that should be close). I have started to play with it to see if the small sample can still be usefull,...perhaps I will set up a predictive matrix this weekend and give it a run over next week to see how it works,...anything that manages to work now only gets better with a bigger sample size.
                            They DO have data for previous seasons. You just have to use the "Historical Stats" menu instead. You can also get there by clicking on a player then clicking on the previous year when his historical stats come up.

What are you looking at for V-Mart, Piazza, and Lecroy....which stat?

Comment

Sorry, I ended up a little busy sat- sun,...the numbers I saw when on the MLB sight were Piazza 36 SB vs 4 CS,....V-mart 39 SB vs. 6 CS,...and Le Croy 20 SB vs. 1CS.....am I reading them wrong? Those are pretty ugly when compared to guys like Ramon Hernandez 15 SB vs. 19 CS and Kendall at 16/13

Comment

Working...
                              X