Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new features did the Upgrade bring us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new features did the Upgrade bring us?

Trying to figure out what features the "Upgrade" brought us.  I only new some formatting changes?
    Red

Same question. Disorienting. What was broken? All I see different is Share and Tweet and Like and some additional icons. And a lot of space.

Where is the Search function? I see it in a post, but not in overall or in specific forum
    Last edited by Whistler; 01-18-2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The Latest Activity points only to the start of the post, not the subsequent activity.

Comment

Give us a little time here, guys. The upgrade did not preserve all of our layouts and customizations, so we need to rebuild that stuff over the next couple of days.

Basically, the update was just to get us on a current version of the forum software (vbulletin). We were on an old, no-longer-supported version.  For one thing, my belief is that had a lot to do with the problems people were having staying logged in. I'm hopeful that will be better.

I definitely agree that it's disorienting right now. But now that the upgrade is done, we can make it look more like it used to. Bear with us for a bit while we do that.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
          Give us a little time here, guys. The upgrade did not preserve all of our layouts and customizations, so we need to rebuild that stuff over the next couple of days.

Basically, the update was just to get us on a current version of the forum software (vbulletin). We were on an old, no-longer-supported version. For one thing, my belief is that had a lot to do with the problems people were having staying logged in. I'm hopeful that will be better.

I definitely agree that it's disorienting right now. But now that the upgrade is done, we can make it look more like it used to. Bear with us for a bit while we do that.
          Thanks for the info Ray!

Comment

Really really really missing the 'What's new' feature from the old forums. This feels like a downgrade...ugh.
            "The problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is nearly impossible to verify the source." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bankerboy View Post
              Really really really missing the 'What's new' feature from the old forums. This feels like a downgrade...ugh.
              Patience... working on bringing that back.

Comment

OK, so here's what I've found on this, as I continue to play with the controls here...

There's a "Mark all channels read" link at the bottom of the forum list on the main page. (I'm working on moving that back to the top, stay tuned on that.) But once you click that to mark everything read, then the 'new topics' link at the top left seems to work the same way 'What's new?' did. (In fact I think I might re-label it...)

Let me know if you see same.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler View Post

Where is the Search function? I see it in a post, but not in overall or in specific forum
                  Search is there (and seems to work), it's WAY up in the top right.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler View Post
                    The Latest Activity points only to the start of the post, not the subsequent activity.
                    I think after you mark everything re-read (use the link at the bottom of the forum list), this will start working again. Just a one-time cutover issue... hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post

OK, so here's what I've found on this, as I continue to play with the controls here...

There's a "Mark all channels read" link at the bottom of the forum list on the main page. (I'm working on moving that back to the top, stay tuned on that.) But once you click that to mark everything read, then the 'new topics' link at the top left seems to work the same way 'What's new?' did. (In fact I think I might re-label it...)

Let me know if you see same.
                      Confirming that this seems to work as I described. And I changed the label to "What's new?"

Comment

I can't find a "Latest Activity" on the forum home page, only within a specific forum. Prior to the changeover, there was a New Posts on the main page, so you could scroll through all new posts in all forums, rather than having to click through each individual forum. Will that be added?

Comment

"what's new" (on the top bar under 'Forum Home') seems to do that for me, Red. If you go to the bottom of the forum list and 'mark all channels read' now, then next time you come back, click 'what's new', and you should see all threads with updates (across all forums) since you left.

You're right that 'latest activity' exists within each forum (not at the site-level) and just shows latest activity within that forum.
                          Last edited by RAY@HQ; 01-19-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ray for the quick fix! So nice to be able to see what was posted since your last visit. That was my favorite feature of the old forums. (Outside the content of course)
                            "The problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is nearly impossible to verify the source." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks Ray for the quick fix! So nice to be able to see what was posted since your last visit. That was my favorite feature of the old forums. (Outside the content of course)
                              Same, that's totally how I navigate this place.

We're getting there. It already looks a lot more familiar than it did last night. Sorry that we have to show "how the sausage gets made" in live mode here, but thanks for bearing with us.

Good news is that this thing is super configurable, so we'll keep flattening the pain points as we find them. (We just moved the login box below the USAT banner so it's easier to see now. Before it looked like it was part of your browser's bookmarks bar).

Comment

Working...
                              X