Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time playing in a 'Points League"..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time playing in a 'Points League"..

so how can I use the custom valueator regarding a points league and/or any help setting something up, much appreciative! This is my first dive into a points league, here are the specs:

Max Teams: 20
    Scoring Type: Points Only
    Player Universe: All baseball
    Max Moves: No maximum
    Max Trades: No maximum
    Trade Reject Time: 1
    Trade End Date: August 20, 2006
    Waiver Time: 2 days
    Max Games Played: 162
    Max Innings Pitched: 1750
    Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
    Start Scoring on: Sunday, Apr 2
    Roster Positions: C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL
    Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, CS, BB, IBB, K, E, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HR, BB, HBP, K, BLK, SB, HLD
    Stat Modifiers: R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), IBB (1), K (-1), E (-1), W (10), L (-3), CG (4), SHO (6), SV (4), HR (-1), BB (-.5), HBP (-.5), K (1), BLK (-.5), SB (-1), HLD (3)

So, if this was posted in the wrong forum please let me know and ANY advice on how to tackle and dominate this league thanks a bunch!

RKade, don't think you even need the Custom Valuator. Download the Excel projections file, and create a new column at the end of the data that calculates the projected total for each player in this format. There will be a few categories that we don't project, but those won't impact the outcomes much (except for holds guys).

Comment

Damn Ray, you're tha man!

Ok, so download and add NL/Al together then compute each cat * by point to produce the total points?
      Example:
      Player X is projected at 30HR
      Take the 30 HR cell * 4 = 120
      Do this for all cats..

Comment

Ray is right, you can just take the Excel files themselves. Then create a new column called Points that adds and subtracts all of those stat modifiers for each row. Then you can sort on Points (or sort on Position and then Points within that position) to see who stacks up as your best bets to draft.

You might want the Valuator to see proper R$ values for your league's parameters, but frankly you can create your own R$ values once you have a ranked list of players.

Tips: A BB is as good as a Single, so high OBP guys are good to have even if they don't have much pop.

You lose a point for errors. Upton is not going to be your #1 minor leaguer...

What gives you the most points, by far? Right, Wins. Look for starting pitchers who are on good teams, and also middle relieving vultures. Those points will win your league. Go for double starts each week as much as you can (unless you have Pedro or someone with one start). Those double starts will be key to winning each week.
        MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Good stuff here but I think some cats I can't match with in Excel.
          Is there not a total bases column in the spreadsheet? I could have sworn there was!

Comment

Originally posted by RKade
            Damn Ray, you're tha man!

Ok, so download and add NL/Al together then compute each cat * by point to produce the total points?
            Example:
            Player X is projected at 30HR
            Take the 30 HR cell * 4 = 120
            Do this for all cats..
            That's right. Just combine them in one long sum like this: =(B2*1)+(C2*2)+...

Comment

Right, what Nick said... don't adjust each individual column, just create one new column that does a *really* long calculation that accounts for each way of scoring a point.

Comment

Thanks guys and sorry for the pretty obvious answer to my question.

By the way, wasn't 2B and 3B on the player projection sheet at some point? Since this league counts singles, doubles, trips I would love to add them in..

Comment

The player projections do include 2B and 3B. Labeled "D" and "T" but they are there.

Comment

gotit
                    Last edited by RKade; 03-20-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                      Ray is right, you can just take the Excel files themselves. Then create a new column called Points that adds and subtracts all of those stat modifiers for each row. Then you can sort on Points (or sort on Position and then Points within that position) to see who stacks up as your best bets to draft.

You might want the Valuator to see proper R$ values for your league's parameters, but frankly you can create your own R$ values once you have a ranked list of players.

Tips: A BB is as good as a Single, so high OBP guys are good to have even if they don't have much pop.

You lose a point for errors. Upton is not going to be your #1 minor leaguer...

What gives you the most points, by far? Right, Wins. Look for starting pitchers who are on good teams, and also middle relieving vultures. Those points will win your league. Go for double starts each week as much as you can (unless you have Pedro or someone with one start). Those double starts will be key to winning each week.

Thanks for the tips Nick. I don't think errors are in the player's projection worksheet though.
                      Would you recommend me adding something in the formula for OBP? I am thinking about incorporation some sort of ratio but drawing a blank at the moment.
                      Will definitely use the 'double start' and begin to snag up MRP who will vulture up wins.
                      Any other things you spot let me know, great stuff again!

Comment

Don't put OBP in the formula, but do be aware that once all the top hitters are off the board there will now be players who have "flaws" left. Maybe not enough power, or slow, whatever. When you get to that stage, a guy who takes a lot of walks is actually more valuable than people in your league will realize. So just keep in mind that you want to favor guys with good Eye/OBP numbers. It's a guideline, not a rule.

Errors are not projected, and neither are Holds. You can ignore them, or you can to to ESPN and see who got lots of Holds last year and see if you can extrapolate any of them to repeat this year (same role on the team, etc.). Once the closers are off the board, look at this list of middle relievers and realize they do have some value, especially if they get Ks and don't issue too many Walks.

Comment

when's a good round to start drafting pitchers in a points system league like this? Typically, I don't draft pitchers until late but have never been in a pts league before.

Comment

Question 1: once you do your spreadsheet magic, does the system seem to "favor" hitting over pitching or vice-versa? How does the point value of a Pujols compare to a Santana? That will tell you how to structure your draft.

Comment

Ah, that I've never done. My points based league is an auction league. I will say that I've had the most success in this league when I've spent more on pitching than LIMA would say to do, and had the worst time of it when I went pure LIMA. So from that I would guesstimate that you need to move up the drafting of starters just a bit earlier than normal.

If the draft plan around here is to go offense offense offense early, with maybe one closer, and to get your starting pitching late in the draft, I would suggest instead that you keep an eye on when the reliable starters start to be taken off the board and then make sure you get one. Then when the middle guys go, get one then too.

You have to get the categories (ERA, HR, etc.) out of your mind. In this league, it's all about points, not competing in categories. So if the best guy on the board as far as point projections is a reliable starting pitcher, that's your guy. As I said, I've never done a straight draft in a points based league, but if I were I would rank by points and make sure I was grabbing the guys at positions where the dropoff in points is the most extreme. If that was at starting pitcher, I'd be grabbing pitchers.

Comment

Working...
                              X