Timing out of the forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing out of the forums

Any chance of getting the timeout interval lengthened? My "better" posts are seemingly always past the time limit, and I am always worried that 20 minutes of laborious typing will be lost. Which admittedly has only happened once or twice, possibly by error brought on by my panicking, but it would be nice to not have to log back in.
    http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

I don't think I've ever encountered a timeout. And I'm sure I've taken more than 20 minutes to make a post. Just curious, what is the behavior you see in this scenario?

(I'm happy to get the setting changed, just not sure what I'm looking for...)

Comment

I’ve had the same issue. After typing a reply to a thread, you hit “post reply”. If too much time has elapsed, the reply disappears and you are asked to sign in again. Hope this helps. (and yes this took me almost 20 minutes)

Comment

Interesting. Hapj and usualsuspects, do you guys have to log in every time you visit the forums? Maybe it's the lack of using the 'remember me' checkbox at login that feeds into it?

Keep the info coming, please, if you've seen this behavior. Thanks.

Comment

It is as Hapj describes.....on my PC with Firefox, on my iPad with Safari, and on my work PC with IE, if I ever logged into HQ from work, which I don't of course.

The remember me box is checked on all, it's effect varies for some reason. For example this is from the iPad, I had to sign into HQ, but was already signed into the forums. On my PC it is opposite, saved user name an password get me into HQ, then I have to type a user name for the forums, then my saved password appears and I am in. But I am booted out at all locations

Comment

Thanks for the details. I'm always a bit puzzled by this because I've never had it happen to me at all. But clearly it is happening to several of you, so it's good to get to the bottom of this.
            MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Really strange. I do know that the iPad/iPhone can't store the HQ site login, so you have to type that every time. But on Firefox/PC and Safari/iPad, I've still never seen this behavior. I'll mess around with it, though.

Comment

i use Chrome on a Mac and experience this timeout all of the time. I will composte a post reply and then click submit which is rejected due to permissions. I'll then open a separate tab and login and then go back to my other tab to complete the submission.

The time on this page (as seen in footer) is:
                All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.
                the time of me clicking on submit was about an hour later

I also captured the BHQ cookies that were on my system at submit time if you want to see them:
                # Netscape HTTP Cookie File
                # http://curl.haxx.se/rfc/cookie_spec.html
                # This file was generated by Edit This Cookie
                # URL: http://forums.baseballhq.com/showthr...hlight=timeout
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1406915914 __gads ID=2ebe784148189ad4:T=1343843914:S=ALNI_MZ4zM-ExUg59caB4qCNm6iQq3pfSA
                forums.baseballhq.com TRUE / FALSE PHPSESSID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                forums.baseballhq.com TRUE / FALSE skimlinks_enabled 1
                forums.baseballhq.com TRUE / FALSE 1380595951 editor_height qr%23330px
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1351787727 cto_usatd
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1412260650 __utma 54133819.1135782166.1343316200.1349065334.13491855 52.103
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE __utmc 54133819
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1364956650 __utmz 54133819.1346949054.84.7.utmcsr=baseballhq.com|utm ccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/members/tools/batterlink/
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE bb_sessionhash xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1380728250 bb_lastvisit 1343486586
                .baseballhq.com FALSE / FALSE 1380728250 bb_lastactivity 0

Comment

I don't think I've ever used Chrome on a Mac. Can you possibly see if Firefox has same results?

Comment

FWIW, I continue to note the same issue across multiple platforms (work PC w/IE, iPad, home PC w/Firefox). Normally I have to look something up so have another tab or browser window opened up, then when I return packing a full statistical armamentarium, my post is gone. The loss to the HQ community, nay, to all of humanity, because of this is incalculable!
                    Last edited by usualsuspects; 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

same on FF and Chrome on a PC

@usualsuspects. is the "restore auto-saved content" feature not working for you? If not then you will probably want this: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...0CTWc9NFEt6k9A

Comment

@BHQ As a IT professional i'm happy to get on the phone with someone and help them troubleshoot .

Comment

I don't mind troubleshooting this when I have some time (and I'm an IT professional too, plus we have a tech team who helps with forum administration, so resource-wise we're ok... thanks for the offer though). I need some more info, though... so the behavior is that you start typing a post, go off somewhere else for a while, come back to finish the post and you can't submit it due to some sort of timeout or permission error? Can you estimate what that idle time is?

As I noted above, this has never happened to me. But it's possible that's because I have admin privileges. There are literally thousands of vbulletin config settings, I'm glad to poke thru them and see what I can find.

Comment

1345h i typed this into the default "quick reply box at the bottom".
                            1348h click "post quick reply" (submit)

Comment

1455h i typed this into the default quick reply. will wait until 1516 to post
                              1516h click on "post quick reply" -- got "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.". going to try 15 minutes.
                              1517h logged in via another tab and posted this

Comment

Working...
                              X