call ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• call ups

I may have missed it but how come Latos and Macias aren't listed in call-ups? A timing issue?

I certainly understand if it is but it would be a cool thing to have a flexible "deadline" for your staff on the call-ups so we can get updates as they happen -- altho I realize this isn't a 24/7 service!

Maybe you could "assign" subscribers an MLB team and let them do some stringer work for you. It could be a separate section not unlike the forums but each MLB team would have an subsrciber assigned to it and he/she could blog away and update info as it comes to him.

...just musing
    "I've a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it."... Groucho

Macias is a repeat callup. We don't typically do a writeup on guys after their first callup. In cases like that, their callup report can be found in Playerlink. For instance, here's Macias' report from last September.

9/7/2008 - Drew Macias (OF, SD)
    The 25 year-old appeared in one game with the Padres in '07, though he didn't get an at bat. Macias has fine all-around skills, but no plus tool. A career .269/.354/.386 hitter, he works counts and knows the strike zone quite well. He offers moderate bat speed that generates a little power, but he doesn't project to a big power guy in the Majors - his 11 HR in '08 are a career-high. Macias has decent speed and is a solid baserunner. His best attributes are on defense where he flashes a strong arm and above average range in CF. He has struggled to effectively hit left-handed pitching in the minors, but Macias does have enough talent to wiggle his way into a reserve role.
    STATS: San Antonio (AA) - 504 AB, .288/.393/.423, 27 2b, 11 HR, 1.02 Eye, 18 SB
    CURRENT ROLE: Reserve OF
    POTENTIAL: 4th OF
    RATING: 6C
    As for Latos, he hasn't technically been called up yet. He's going to be called up to start tomorrow.

Comment

Good question Beano. I generally don't do a callup report until the promotion is confirmed. Specifically in regards to Latos, there was still a question as to when he would make his debut - Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I didn't want to do a report until his debut was verified. Given that his debut is Sunday, I'll post the report tonight.

Ray is also correct about repeat callups - their original reports can be found in PlayerLink.

Thanks for the question.

Comment

For pitchers especially, where sometimes the plan is announced 3-4 days in advance, I suspect subscribers would prefer a full analysis right away AND a disclaimer that it may not be official yet.

I respect a preference to only explain REAL callups, but in this information age, I'll bet the consumers here would be happier to know about "likely plays" coming, with the disclaimer. That way they are ready to pounce if they like what they see........
        NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
        our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
        a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

I understand what you're saying, Howie, but that's also a slippery slope. If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to look at "The watchlist" on the minors command center page. We're tracking possible upcoming callups there. Latos was listed there for the last couple of weeks.

Comment

Well, I'm talking about something a little different, which is "The Padres announced on Tuesday that they plan to recall pitcher xxx on Sunday to start against the Giants" or whatever.

That's not the same as "Cameron Maybin has played well of late and seems likely to rejoin the Marlins before September." That's also good to know, of course.

I'd pass on general rumors in Callups, but post about guys the team says are heading into the rotation on a specific day of that week - then including a disclaimer about them not being on the roster yet.
            NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
            our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
            a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X