BPV Error Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPV Error Question

HQ Glossary shows Pitching BPV: (Dominance Rate x 6) + (Command Ratio x 21) - (Expected Opp. HR Rate x 30) - ((Opp. Batting Average - .275) x 200). Glossary has Opposition batting average (OBA)as (Hits Allowed / ((IP x 2.82) + Hits Allowed)).

Using the HQ Glossary formulas, JVazquez has 182 BPV and DHaren has 196 BPV. More detailed:
    Vazquez = (10.9x6)+(6.2x21)-(.8x30)-((.224-.275)x200)
    Vazquez = (65.4)+(130.2)-(24)-(-10.2)=181.8
    Yet the HQ website has JVazquez with 166 BPV and DHaren with 142 BPV.

Have any of these formulas changed ? If so, what are the current formulas ?
    If formulas have not changed, what is the error in the calculations shown above ?
    Thanks.

Yes, we have updated the formula. Looks like we forgot to update the glossary. You can read about the new formula here.

Comment

Thanks for the link. That gets the BPV closer but still doesn't match.
      The link article you provided BPV formula shows:
      (Strikeout rate - 5.0) x 15 + (4.0 - Walk rate) x 30 + (Groundball rate - 40%)

Vazquez has K/9 10.9, BB/9 1.8, and GB 43%
      Haren has K/9 8.6, BB/9 1.2, and GB 42%

Using new BPV Formula, Vazquez is BPV 155, Haren is BPV 138.
      Yet the HQ website lists JVazquez with 166 BPV and DHaren with 142 BPV.

Has the BPV formula changed again ? If so, what is the current formula ?
      If not, what is the error in the calculations shown above ?
      Thanks.

Comment

Oops, you're right. There was another revision. I'm on vacation and don't have all of my materials handy, but I believe one of the two formulas below is the current version. See if either of these replicate the site values, I'm almost certain one of them will:

Pitching BPV2: ((Dominance Rate - 5.0) x 17) + (4.0 - Walk Rate) x 28))+ (Ground ball rate - 40%)
        Pitching BPV2: ((Dominance Rate - 5.0) x 18) + (4.0 - Walk Rate) x 27))+ (Ground ball rate - 40%)

Comment

New revision replicates site value. Thanks, especially for helping during your vacation.
          HQ dedication at its finest.

Comment

Working...
          X