• Show
Clear All

Bunch of changes this AM in CSV-land:
    - player names are last, first
    - age and bats added
    - LIMA added
    - 3 ADP fields added (min, max, ADP)
    - all negative playing time guys filtered out

There's still some weirdness down in the low-PT end of the file (negative ABs, etc), and the LY15 issue that Blueboy noted above is still outstanding.

Bottom line: we still have some cleanup to do IN the file, but in terms of format of columns/layout, I think we might have that nailed now. Anyone who disagrees with that, let me know.

Comment

I don’t show on either the projections file or the CSV download the players listed with last name and then first name in alphabetical order. Listing last name first and then first name does no good unless they are in descending order from A-Z. Showing Acuna Ronald and then Freeman Freddie next whether the last name is first or not is not helpful. Are you working towards having someone like CJ Abrams first and Mike Zunino last as you have done ever since I have been a subscriber? Why did that have to change? Makes no sense to me why they used to be listed in alphabetical order and now they are listed in some order I don’t get.

on my projections version and CSV version the negative at bats are still in there.

I don’t understand where on the CSV files I can see any dates.

Thsnks,

Comment

You may have download too early this AM to get these changes, or you're not looking at the right file.

If you download now, the name field is "Acuna Jr., Ronald".

The sort is by $ value descending. But changing that to sort by name should just be a couple of clicks for you.

The NAME of the file that you download today is "hitters_projections_mlb_2024_02_12". That's today's date, right in the file name.

Yes, I mentioned in my earlier post that there is still cleanup to do with the low-PT guys. That was referring to the negative ABs.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
          Bunch of changes this AM in CSV-land:
          - player names are last, first
          - age and bats added
          - LIMA added
          - 3 ADP fields added (min, max, ADP)
          - all negative playing time guys filtered out

There's still some weirdness down in the low-PT end of the file (negative ABs, etc), and the LY15 issue that Blueboy noted above is still outstanding.

Bottom line: we still have some cleanup to do IN the file, but in terms of format of columns/layout, I think we might have that nailed now. Anyone who disagrees with that, let me know.
          I still see all of the players with negative AB. Can this be fixed so they either have positive AB or removed (i.e. if they aren't playing in 2024)?
          Pitchers are still first name last name. Batter is now last, first.
          [SIZE=10px]blueboy714[/SIZE]

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
          Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
          [I][SIZE=8px][FONT=Arial]Our point scoring system is:
          ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
          ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Ray - On your CSV files - your low AB hitters are not believable. Connor Norby with 61 AB's most likely will not go 22 for 61 with an OPS approaching 1.000. Rougned Odor most likely won't go 7 for 14. If i want to eliminate the non-believable and non-credible hitters - what level of AB's should I eliminate. As I observe it - it seems anything less than 100 AB's for your projections are not credible. What do you think? Haven't done a deep dive on the pitchers yet.

Comment

Yes, as I have already said twice today above, we still have work to do on the low-AB batters. There's no similar problem with pitchers.

I understand they need to be cleaned up, and they degrade the credibility of the file, but does anyone care about a 7-for-14 projection? I would easily think you can just delete anyone with less than 100 AB projected.

Comment

Ray, following up on another post can we cancel our subscriptions for a full refund. It's not our job to delete low AB hitters. We pay BHQ to give us trusted statistics. The problems are yours, not ours.

Comment

Yes I do care about players who are expected to receive less than 100 AB’s. I care about every player who you have a projection for. And yes it calls into question the credibility of the entire file. This is your issue not ours and these files which you have been trying to improve is not something that we thought we were signing up for. 8 days later I still do not see the benefit of what you were trying to achieve. I will be the first to admit my error when you get all of these kinks out. But yes I care about everything on your site and if they are wrong - it isn’t my issue. It’s not my job to decide what is believable or not or right or wrong on your site. We’ve never had to question credibility in the past.
                  Last edited by Snider; 02-12-2024, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, send any refund requests to support@baseballhq.com and I'll help you out there.

Comment

Sorry about that earlier response, gang... I'm just trying to triage issues that have the most impact, and a 7-for-14 projection doesn't seem like that big a deal in the grand scheme. But I get it, you guys don't want to have to think about the integrity of the files. Thanks for your patience, we'll get there soon.

Comment

Sorry about that earlier response, gang... I'm just trying to triage issues that have the most impact, and a 7-for-14 projection doesn't seem like that big a deal in the grand scheme. But I get it, you guys don't want to have to think about the integrity of the files. Thanks for your patience, we'll get there soon.
                        Looking forward to the fix.

I wanted to mention a couple of things...

I am the sort of guy who scrutinizes all calculations, and I don't recall ever seeing such oddball things like batting averages over .500 or negative AB in prior years (I've got csv files dating back to 2015, and none of them show this). FWIW, my league uses hybrid categories, so I do my own valuations. Having projected numbers I trust is extremely important. As you say above, these non-sensical numbers like negative AB, or plate appearances that don't add up to AB+BB, or batting average projections far above anything reasonable makes me question the integrity of the process.

The player pages show the same weird numbers. So it's not just a CSV file issue -- it's a projections issue.

For example, check out Justin-Henry Malloy. Projected for 170 PA... and a .363 batting average? With a 45% CT%? Plus a 28.5% HR/F? The only thing that makes sense is his .189 xBA (though it is obviously not consistent with the other numbers).

Or for an even more extreme example, there's Coby Mayo, who is projected to hit .700, despite a CT% of only 6%. Also a 28.6% BB%. And a (gulp) 491.9% HR/F?!? Once again, only the xBA of .232 seems reasonable.

It is almost as if in the transfer of info to the new site, some data columns got misaligned, and the calculations are being done with the wrong numbers.

That said, the pitching projection file looks great. For example... when I calculate ERA from ER and IP, or WHIP from H, BB, and IP, etc., I get the same numbers that are in the csv file. And there are no crazy things like negative IP or ERAs over 100.
                        * 10-team AL-only, auction ($260 budget), 2 yr contracts wi/toppers, max 13 freezes, $100 FAAB with weekly auctions, 4x4 with hybrid categories
                        * 14H/9P (+8 reserve draft), with liberal movement between active and reserve rosters
                        * Hitting: OBP, HR, RP, BADV = SB+2B+2*3B
                        * Pitching: ERA, SV+HLD, QIP = 2*IP-baserunners, WQG = W+QO+CG (
                        QO = 5/6/8 IP with 2/3/4 ER or fewer)

Comment

If you download now, the name field is "Acuna Jr., Ronald".
                          Yes, this is nice, thanks. A few comments...
                          • Would it be possible to simply do it like past years and have a last name column and a first name column? Yes, it is easy enough for me to parse "Last, First" into separate columns myself, but having them come in as separate columns would be nicer.
                          • The pitcher file still has players as Firstname Lastname (so, for example, "Gerrit Cole", not "Cole, Gerrit")
                          • Minor issue: If I go to to the 2024 Hitter Projections web page and click on the little CSV icon at the top right of the table, the CSV download still has the player name in the "First Last" format.
                          * 10-team AL-only, auction ($260 budget), 2 yr contracts wi/toppers, max 13 freezes, $100 FAAB with weekly auctions, 4x4 with hybrid categories
                          * 14H/9P (+8 reserve draft), with liberal movement between active and reserve rosters
                          * Hitting: OBP, HR, RP, BADV = SB+2B+2*3B
                          * Pitching: ERA, SV+HLD, QIP = 2*IP-baserunners, WQG = W+QO+CG (
                          QO = 5/6/8 IP with 2/3/4 ER or fewer)

Comment

Yes, send any refund requests to support@baseballhq.com and I'll help you out there.
                            Thanks Ray - I'm quite there yet, but if things aren't fixed by Friday I will be making a request. I managed a programming department most of career (before I retire) and it frustrating to see that this year's projections have no quality control. I don't know if this is because of the new website conversion or what is going on - but I would have thought that BHQ would have done QC checks in-house rather than relying on paying subscribers to find issues in the new formatted files. It would have been easier to just keep the file format the same as past years.

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
                            Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
                            ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
                            ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Comment

agree with blueboy. I'll wait until Friday to cancel. The sight is a train wreck. Playerlink is useless

Comment

Originally posted by bowi8son View Post
                                agree with blueboy. I'll wait until Friday to cancel. The sight is a train wreck. Playerlink is useless
                                I don't think the problem is with Playerlink but with the CSV files. Some of the articles also have super weird formatting the authors tell me isn't something they can control or don't want to fix.

I know I can be a bit obsessive/OCD over things like this - so I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It feels like BHQ is depending on their subscribers to do their QC for them this year.
                                Last edited by blueboy714; 02-13-2024, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X