CSV Download Files - Missing Variables & Changes - Please Change Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSV Download Files - Missing Variables & Changes - Please Change Back

I've been reviewing the new CSV files and there a couple of things that changed. Can these be changed back to the old way?

1 - What happened to Age and ADP? Can these be added back?
    2 - Position for batters used to be a code with all of the player's positions that they quality at (i.e. 564o). Now it is just one position (3B) .. I assume their primary position. Can the old code with all of a player's qualifying positions be added back in?
    3 - BPV is now BPX. What is BPX and how does it differ from BPV?
    4 - First name and last name variables now combined. Can these be split out into separate variables again?
    5 - Why are there batters with negative AB? Most of these players seem to be retired or FA. In the past you provided stats for FA - it makes it kind of hard try to project players who haven't signed with a team yet.
    6 - Why are there pitchers with no stats? Most of these players seem to be retired or FA. In the past you provided stats for FA - it makes it kind of hard try to project players who haven't signed with a team yet.

It has been an absolute nightmare trying to prepare for drafts using your new files. If I had known you were going to do this right before the season starts and everyone is prepping for drafts I might have renewed my subscription this year.

Thanks
    Last edited by blueboy714; 02-08-2024, 09:31 AM.
    [SIZE=10px]blueboy714[/SIZE]

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
    Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
    [I][SIZE=8px][FONT=Arial]Our point scoring system is:
    ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
    ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Yes, will get all of these cleaned up except BPV. BPX is just BPV indexed to league average (ie 100 = average, 110 = 10% better than league average). We've switched to BPX in the Forecaster for a number of years, and will lock in on BPX here on the site going forward.

(Yes, we also need to bring over/upgrade the Glossary so we can document these things.)

Good list, thanks for enumerating these.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
      Yes, will get all of these cleaned up except BPV. BPX is just BPV indexed to league average (ie 100 = average, 110 = 10% better than league average). We've switched to BPX in the Forecaster for a number of years, and will lock in on BPX here on the site going forward.

(Yes, we also need to bring over/upgrade the Glossary so we can document these things.)

Good list, thanks for enumerating these.
      Thanks - BPX is a lot more useful than BPV.
      Do you have a time-frame for these updates getting done? I am about week behind past years in my league drafts prep because of these changes.

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
      Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
      ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
      ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Comment

These are all pretty easy changes, should just be a matter of days.

Comment

These are all pretty easy changes, should just be a matter of days.
          Is there an update as to when these will get fixed/updated? I'm behind on my projections because BHQ's new site & player data is so messed up since going to the new format.

Comment

Quick-and-dirty method to split a name field into first name and last name, using Excel:

If full name is in cell A2:

First name:

=LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)-1)

Last name:

=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH(" ",A2,1))

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_T View Post
              Quick-and-dirty method to split a name field into first name and last name, using Excel:

First name:

Last name:

Thanks - That doesn't always work for someone with a name with multiple spaces in their full name - esp. Japanese names and players with middle initials. I use something similar but it isn't 100% perfect either.

Comment

Originally posted by blueboy714 View Post

Is there an update as to when these will get fixed/updated? I'm behind on my projections because BHQ's new site & player data is so messed up since going to the new format.
                As I said, a matter of days. I said to someone else in another thread, things are getting fixed quickly in general, we've cleaned up a lot of stuff since last weekend. But I'm not going to be able to give ETAs on any specific fix. I did put this in my highest-priority group yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_T View Post

First name:

Last name:

My savior is using =TextSplit formula, designating split by spaces. the extra names an Jr. II, III add an extra step for me, but it my go-to formula for breaking out a field that has multiple items in the cell. I then Concat it back to a =(last name,", ",first name) formula.

Comment

I've requested the names be changed back to last, first in one cell.

Comment

I use the Text to Column feature in the Data grouping in Excel. The break option is a space. You need three blank columns as there are a couple of De Los Santos's out their. I sort this by the column you would find Jrs in. This puts all the multi columned players together. Correct them manually to make just two names. Assume the First name is in Col A and the last name is in column B. The formula is name = ColB&", "&ColA. I have to do this with all the FanGraph sites. It was so nice before not to have to deal with it in BBHQ but that's life.

Comment

Ray's request would be the best of all possible worlds for me.​

Comment

I found another issue.

7 - there are a ton of players with a blank LY15 (played 15 games at a position last year) that actually qualified at their primary position according to new "POS" column. Ohtani is a DH but his LY15 is blank, Yainer Diaz qualifies at C (he played 60 games at C) but his LY15 is blank.

This is just an absolute nightmare to try to use these projections this year.

Comment

Reported, thanks. I've made data cleanup issues our top tech priority. Should see a lot of improvement in that area this coming week.

Comment

Reported, thanks. I've made data cleanup issues our top tech priority. Should see a lot of improvement in that area this coming week.
                              Thank you Ray. I appreciate it. I'm still unsure why the download file formatting changing with the new website redesign. It would have been easier to keep the layout the same.

The new download file for projections have been a nightmare. I've been subscribing to BHQ site since the early 2000's and getting the books long before that. I went with the draft prep this year because I have an early draft this year. If the files aren't corrected this week then I am SOL. If the download files are corrected this week can I get refund on my subscription?

Comment

Working...
                              X