Watchlist Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchlist Suggestion

Firstly, I cannot list how many times over the past few years this particular column has given me the edge on watching a prospect and pouncing a week before the general population has caught wind. Along with MarketWatch, these are my two favorite columns, followed by the Speculator coming in a close third.

What I find however, is that each week, there is a new list of prospects that are close to promotion.

What I would find useful is a ranking of sorts - lets say Top 10 NL and Top 10 AL of prospects close to getting promoted. A player moves up the rankings as his probability of getting recalled increases and his impact of once he gets called up increases.

Perhaps it can be broken down as follows:

Projected Call Up time frame
    A - within the next week
    B - 7-21 days
    C - 21-45 days
    D - prior to Sept
    E - Sept 1

Projected playing time:
    A - full time starter (position player or pitcher)
    B - strict platoon
    C - part time player

Impact (factoring in playing time):
    A - Add in all leagues
    B - Add in leagues of 12-14 teams
    C - Add in leagues of over 14 teams
    D - Add for specific category help (ie saves, steals, Ks, etc.)
    E - Watch, add immediately if opportunity arises.

Using these metrics a guy listed in the top 2 would be an AAA type of player.

A perfect guy that would fit this mold would have been Nick Franklin. Perhaps not even on the list in early April, he would slowly rise on the list as Ackley/Ryan struggled and he had more and more success.

This is just a rough draft of how I envision this working and the cherry on top would be for this to be updated daily, essentially like a stock board where the bottom few players may be added/dropped each day based on these factors which are understood to be all speculative in nature.

This would truly be a WatchList.

Good stuff, thanks. Passed this around internally.

Comment

Working...
    X