CDG vs Baseball Prospectus PFM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDG vs Baseball Prospectus PFM

Running my leagues through both dollar valuators, I've noticed that Baseball HQ $ values are higher for a large number of players, compared to Baseball Prospectus'. The differences are somewhat lower when forcing positions in CDG, but still, a large percentage of players come out with higher dollar values.

I understand that the projection systems differ, but shouldn't, on the whole, everything even out?

In particular, the BP values seem to greatly undervalue starting pitchers compared to HQ, with BP valuing saves and steals more.

Any insight? A difference in playing time estimates? A difference in just how much certain stats are valued in the standings?

I tend to trust HQs projections more than BP's Pecota, but it doesn't make sense to me that around 3/4 (off the top of my head) HQ $ values are higher than BP's. Am I missing something obvious in my inputs, or math-wise?

Thanks,
    Foster

Really couldn't say, I don't know anything about the inner workings of PFM. In our tool, there are more than enough options available to tweak the values of you want to. Your assumption that the projections should all wash out may not be right either.

I'd suggest finding some guys with very similar projected performance, and see how the $ compare.

Comment

Thanks, Rob. It seemed like a huge number of players had higher dollar values here than BP, but I may have figured it out: the default there "adjusts for position," which I think is similar to "force positions" here, which I had not checked.

Comment

I just did a quick pass through both - 12 team standard league, no positional adjustments, 66% of a $260 budget ($171.60) assigned to hitting. In this case, both systems properly value 168 batters as draftable. The total value of the CDG players is $2059.20, which it should be. Oddly, the PFM gives a total value of only $2045.09, which isn't right. So the CDG gives a higher value by $0.08 per player - not something that should lead to "a huge number of players" have higher dollar values.

The "Force Players" function on the CDG used to be an absolute disaster, but it looks like BHQ is finally doing the positional adjustments properly, for which I congratulate them.

Comment

Working...
        X