Question RE: force positions on CDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question RE: force positions on CDG

I ran the CV with the same exact setting except I changed from force positions to do not force postions. The results were a little confusing and I am now not sure which way to use it. The big differences are the values. I do a draft so that part does not really affect me but if I rank them by values it might. For example the catchers. All the catchers went up in "value" as I expect they should since in an auction all every player will has to be at least $1. But, martienz went up from $25 to $29, ok. The 2nd tier of guys went from $14 to $20, Ok. But a guy like paulino went from -$11 to $6 (17th catcher) There are other differences that I really can't explain. When force postions c.jackson and Laroche both $8 , when you don't force Jackson goes to $13 and laroche only to $9. I don't think an in depth explanation of this would really help me, but I was wondering how best to use this and what does it mean to me as a straight drafter? thanks

When you force positions, you require that the correct number of players at each position have positive value. That means you must allocate positive value to a bunch of guys who were negative beforehand. Shallow positions (like C in a league that requires 2 on each roster) will experience large valuation changes because there are plenty of 5th OF's, CI's, DH's, Micah Owings, etc. who would otherwise be above them.

In general, I like to look at it both ways. I want output without force poistions so I can target the positive value players at shallow positions. I want with force positions so I know which valuable OF's, CI's, etc. should fall off the chart because everyone must honor roster restrictions.
    While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
    --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Because I tend to not draft any pitchers until late in the draft. I really don't think I will end up with any hitters at the low end of the pool. So would it make sense for me to not force positons to get an idea of a players "more true worth"?

Comment

[quote=RobR@HQ;325815]In general, I like to look at it both ways [quote]

Rob - I had a lil chuckle at that line. lol

Comment

I just did the same thing as Doc and got seom really wacky values. When I used the "force position" option Bengie Molina became the second most valuable player in the major leagues (after Pujols) at $65! Jason Bartlett was the third most valuable at $60! When I unchecked the "force position" box the list looks much more reasonable and both Molina and Bartlett had $1 valuations. That can't be right, can it??

Comment

Richard, sounds like you're using some screwy categories, please post all of your settings.

Comment

I've been playing with it and it looks like Hitting Ks are the culprit - when I remove those then things return to normal. To answer your question, we use seven offensive categories: R, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, OPB & Ks. [Sorry - edited to add 10 teams, AL/NL, 3 OF and 1 each C,1B,2B,3B,SS,UTIL + 4 Bench.]

Richard
              Last edited by Herb Scoresheet; 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah, hitting K's in a category league (as opposed to points based) can really skew things. Try giving that category a lower weight, or removing altogether.

Comment

Working...
                X