Looking to create a classic roto league in southern Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to create a classic roto league in southern Florida

Hey all - Baseball HQ founder Ron Shandler here. Rotisserie old-timers might remember the name Irwin Zwilling, who partnered with Lenny Melnick in the industry's first fantasy radio show back in 1992. Irwin contacted me a few weeks ago and wants to start a local roto league here in south Florida, using many of Rotisserie's original rules, though less intensive and more casual. It's been awhile since I've been in anything that could be considered a "home league," so I'm on board too. If you are interested in more information and live anywhere between Miami and Vero Beach, drop me a note at baseball@ronshandler.com.

Though I hesitate to be an ageist, we are looking for roto veterans, so don't write if you're 25 and jonesing to take me down. We'll be evaluating prospective candidates based on answers to questions like, 1) Which stat service did your first roto league use?, 2) Who won the very first Rotisserie League in 1980?, and 3) When was your last colonoscopy?

Go Mets!
    Ron
    "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -- George Carlin

Originally posted by RON@HQ View Post

1) Which stat service did your first roto league use?
    What was a stat service?

http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

we started in 1987 and calculated stats by hand using USA Today stats that were published on Tuesday-Wednesday. First real stat service was Heath for us

Comment

save a spot for me around 2027! I should be there by then; a friend sells real estate in Jupiter.

we went for ASS in 1990 - All-Star Stats - after going with the dreaded not-quite-weekly Sporting News homemade stats for 6 years.
        NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
        our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
        a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bowi8son View Post
          we started in 1987 and calculated stats by hand using usa today stats that were published on tuesday-wednesday.
          this !

Comment

Originally posted by tuna411 View Post

this !
            John Benson was my guru when I played in Compuerve leagues in the late 1980s.
            The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie M View Post
              save a spot for me around 2027! I should be there by then; a friend sells real estate in Jupiter.

we went for ASS in 1990 - All-Star Stats - after going with the dreaded not-quite-weekly Sporting News homemade stats for 6 years.
              Yup, Sporting News. Then, Roto-Stats. Used to have bar code player stickers so they could scan in the rosters IIRC.

http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

Stat-O-Magic for us in the late 80s. We received weekly faxes of stats for our players. The commish was the owner of a comic book store called The Bookie Parlor. Every week all the owners would gather there the day the stats were faxed in so we could get our copies.
                Craig

Comment

Working...
                X