Openings in established AL- and NL only online 5x5 rotisserie leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Openings in established AL- and NL only online 5x5 rotisserie leagues

EDIT: NL opening has been filled. AL still is available.

ORIGINAL POST: Monsters of the NL News and One League Too Many are loosely-affiliated online keeper rotisserie leagues, although there are slight rules differences between the two. (For the most part, the rules in both have been based on the Book rules, updated to take FAAB bidding into account, but there have been a few changes from the Book over the years.)

Monsters goes back to the late eighties, I believe, and OLTM is entering its 18th year, although both leagues were on hiatus for the pandemic. Monsters is NL-only and OLTM is AL-only. Both are 5x5 (with saves being replaced by holds/2 + saves) and hitter/pitcher roster positions that better reflect current MLB roster composition, as explained below. They conduct their auctions using the onroto.com automated auction rooms. There are no fees for transactions beyond the initial membership buy-in. These are low-stakes leagues, so you aren't going to be out much if you want to try out a strategy that you'd be reluctant to use in a league that called for payment of serious money.

One thing a bit quirky about these leagues is that we use a transactions system that operates over two days each week. On Mondays, we announce successful waiver claims and FAABs. On Tuesdays, we allow owners to pick from the remaining free agents, but only for natural roster openings not filled on the Monday before. (The rationale is that, with weekly transactions, an owner whose FAABs and waivers all were unsuccessful might find himself or herself without an active player in an open spot for a full week. The Tuesday FA claims opportunity lets the owner see how he or she does on Monday before filling in on Tuesday if necessary. It's not complicated and, I promise, you'd get the hang of it quickly.)

In Monsters, we have moved from the traditional 14/9 to 12/11. In OLTM, we use 12/10 plus a "swing" UT who can be changed weekly between a hitter and a pitcher. Teams in both leagues will continue to have four-man farm systems. I can provide more details about roster composition if you are interested.

Both leagues need to replace the same dropout owner, who leaves after almost 20 years because he did not miss fantasy sports while taking the pandemic season off in all sports. (He goes out as the champion of OLTM.)

The fee in Monsters is $50 plus your pro-rata share of the Onroto.com service, which was about $9 last year. The auction usually occurs on the Sunday of "traditional" draft weekend, i.e., the first full weekend after Opening Day. This year it is on Sunday, April 4, at 12 noon Eastern time. (Please note that this is Easter Sunday, if that is an issue for you.)

In OLTM, the fees are peanuts, i.e., $25 plus the pro-rata apportionment of Onroto.com's charges. We typically have the auction on the first Wednesday night after Opening Day. This year, that would be Wednesday, April 7, at 8 pm Eastern time.

We have some HQ guys in each league and they do well. If you're interested, please private message me or email me at MikeRubin2@aol.com. Thanks for your attention.
    Last edited by Mike Rubin; 02-09-2021, 08:43 PM.

Still have an AL opening.

We had the AL winter meeting this morning. Those attending voted to replace the W and SV +.5 H categories with IP and W+H+SV in this era of openers, bullpen games, starters limited to twice through the lineup, wins going to middle relievers, closers used in the sixth inning because “high leverage,” and closers by committee. Valuation of pitching should be fun.

Wanna experiment with us? Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

Mike

I may be interested in the AL league. send me details at jazzrunnerrc@yahoo.com. Rich Carlson. I can also be reached via text. 703 864 8572.

Comment

AL filled now, too. Thanks, Rich Carlson!

Comment

Working...
        X