Help with 1st time CDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1st time CDG

First timer here and maybe I am being a n00b but I cannot for the life of me figure out the CDG. I have tried using the directions but, again, have no clue if I am doing this correctly.

I am play in a ESPN Fantasy League. 10-Teams. Mixed. 6x6 Head-to-Head categories (R, HRs, RBI, OBP, SBs and SO x HR allowed, ERA, WHIP, QS, SO and SV - Minimum 35 IP). No keepers. Snake draft. 25 person roster (22 starters - 13 hitters/9 pitchers, 3 bench + DL slot).

What I was hoping for was a way to create rankings/projections that pertain specfically to my league settings so I can evaluate players accordingly. That's possible correct?

Can anyone help guide me? I would greatly appreciate the help and any tis people have for using the site.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Manny

Manny... so, for snake draft, you don't really care about the hitter/pitcher budget split, the bench slots setting, or the budget for that matter. Just put in your category settings, # of teams, and go.

Watch out for hitter strikeouts, those will cause strange results. You'll want to cut the weighting on that cat down to like 0.2 or so rather than the default of 1.

Otherwise, just put your settings in and go. If you're still stuck, let us know where specifically...

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Manny.

You can use the straight draft guide -- http://www.baseballhq.com/content/ro...de-updated-326 and also look for the link to the mixed league spreadsheet in that article -- or use the Custom Draft Guide (CDG). The Custom Draft Guide will produce dollar amounts. Generally, you'll want to draft the players with the highest dollar amounts, but there are some adjustments and positional considerations discussed in the straight draft guide.

Also, I'm going to assume that there are 23 players on a fantasy team in your league (13 + 9). I think you mis-typed when you wrote 22.

To use the CDG:
      From our home page once you are logged in, click on Stats & Tools, Custom Draft Guide.
      Read that material and then click START HERE
      Change settings as follows:
      • Projected 2015
      • 10 teams
      • Check AL and NL
      • 260 budget (it's traditional)
      • Offensive budget -- I usually use 69% but it doesn't really matter too much
      • Sort by dollars
      • I think you leave the number of bench players at 0 even though you have bench players
      • Click use fractional dollars if you like
      • Click force positions
      • I use the Balanced valuation method
      • Minimum bid 1
      • Usual distribution of positions is 9 / 5 / 2 and 1 from each of the other positions, although your league may differ
      • Set scoring mode to Rotisserie. Select the 6 batting and 6 pitching categories for your league's Rotisserie style scoring.

Click Generate Values
      You have your output. Look it over to make sure it makes sense. Note there are several links at the top to see the output in various formats.

Ask again if you have more questions.
      "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Ok, so I cut the weight down on hitter strikeouts. That helped for sure.

What should I put for the following categories?

Budget per team?
        - i believe directions said to put 260 if you dont play with budgets

offensive budget?
        - it's at 66% right now cause that was the default setting

Number of bench players?
        - we have 3 bench slots but I put 0 b/c of your last post

Sort by?
        - I did dollars

Valuation method?
        - I did balanced

Does min budget matter?
        - I put 0

Should I adjust the weight of the saves category like i did for hitter strikeouts

Do you have any advice or tips when going through the rankings? Or just tips in general for new users?

Thanks again and this site is glorious!

You da man,

Manny

Comment

Michael (Gandolf?),

Thank you! very informative. All my last reply question have been answered but one...

Would you consider adjusting the weight of saves in a 6x6 league?

Thanks again!

Comment

Ok, so i input the settings you suggested and, well, now it seems like pitchers are not valued AT ALL. Relievers are ranked ahead of all the the top SPs. How does that work?

Comment

Yes, that is a bouncing Gandolf.

I think you've got it but, just like strikeouts for batters, the CDG doesn't seem to handle the negative HR Allowed category very well. I would try changing the weight to be less than 1, such as the 0.2 you used for batter strikeouts.

Comment

Normally I weight everything evenly (and normally I use Rotolab for my draft prep.) but others like to underweight saves, believing that they can be predicted with less accuracy than other categories are.

Comment

Working...
                X