Lost in the Site Again ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in the Site Again ..

I have been a member of this site for more time than I can believe. Despite that, or maybe as a result of that, I can still forget some of the terms. I was preparing for this year's auction and noticed the designation "26 plus experience". I've looked at the glossaries and couldn't find it, tried a search of the site with no success. Can anyone direct me to this term?
    Thanks,
    "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

You saw this... in Rotolab, I'm guessing?

I'm not sure it's a term of ours. I think it's an old Bill James study (could be some other source) that took the notion that age 27 was the most common age for breakouts, and in researching it determined that the actual most likely age is "26 with experience".

Comment

I had an HQ Research piece a few years ago that said age isn't the key. PAs is the key. You want batters the year after they pass the 800-PA threshold. Because of the usual patterns of when guys reach MLB, they hit 800 in their age-26 year (with experience!), but we're better off looking for players who hit the experience range, irrespective of how old they are when they do it. In fact, we could theorize you wnat guys who are younger, because it indicates they have a rare talent that lets them get to MLB at ages below the norm.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Thank you both, and Ray, yes it is in rotolab, and I mistakenly thought the origin was from baseball hq, since the source for almost all baseball player analysis that I know came from here.
        "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Comment

It was a John Benson study, but heed Patrick's analysis.
          "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
          X