CDG Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDG Values

16 team, 5x5 (OBP) auction keeper league. This is the 2nd year I have used MACK and CDG to generate auction values for my auction. I have entered everything and have set hitters at 69%. When I generated my values (using balanced method), it seems all my second tier (after the top 10 or so) SPs (Wainwright - Gray) have values in the $12-17 range. When I look at many other projections, it seems a lot of these guys are in the mid-teens to mid-$20s. Last year, I followed my CDG values pretty closely and therefore missed out on a lot of SPs because they were above the CDG value. Is there something I am missing? If it seems like my league values SPs higher should I just reduce the hitting % to something like 63-64? I am just trying to figure out how to adjust for my draft. Thank you.

Originally posted by mtgannon View Post
    Last year, I followed my CDG values pretty closely and therefore missed out on a lot of SPs because they were above the CDG value. Is there something I am missing?
    Conceptually, I think the key issue is that the values get set by the CDG, but the prices get set by your league's owners via the auction. The trick is to exploit the gaps between the two. If your owners are overspending on second-tier pitching, there must be bargains in other player categories.
    If it seems like my league values SPs higher should I just reduce the hitting % to something like 63-64? I am just trying to figure out how to adjust for my draft.
    You can try fiddling with the various controls in the CDG to get it to match your league more closely, but when you check you might see that doing so to "correct" for Tier-2 starters has created new "errors" in Tier-1 infielders, or somewhere else. I just trust the actual "TRUE" values in the CDG to guide how to respond at the auction table.
    Last edited by PD@HQ; 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Something doesn't sound right in your configuration. If I run a 16-team mixed 5x5 through the CDG, I'm seeing Wainwright up near 30 (Gray down around 14, guys like Greinke/Teheran/Scherzer around 19-20). And those values should only go higher once you have your keepers entered (assuming that generates some inflation).

Can you post all of your CDG settings?

There's also the classic discussion of the CDG showing pure value and not accounting for market tendencies, but we can talk more about that after we make sure your settings are right.

Comment

Thanks guys. Here are my settings in CDG:
        Use Keepers: Yes Sort by: Dollars Select Stat Pool: Projected 2015 # of Bench Players: 4 Number of Teams: 16 Budget Per Team: $260
        Valuation Method: Balanced Offensive Budget: 69% Minimum Bid: $1
        9P, 3OF, 1C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 SS, 1 3B, 2 UT

Weights: HR 2, RBI 1, R 2, Net SBs 1, OBP 2
        Wins 1, Saves 1, ERA 2, WHIP 2, SO 2

I did not think the weightings should greatly impact the auction values to the extent they might have, but maybe that is it.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Change bench players to 0, unless you pay auction dollars for those bench spots.

And why are you playing with the weights like that? You should have all values at 1 for standard 5x5 scoring. If you want to accentuate certain categories, go to 1.1 or 1.2. Throwing 2's in those fields is going to make the results get screwy. Start by changing back to all 1's w/bench players zero. Then, start playing with weights if you want.... slowly.

Comment

Thanks Ray. We do pay auction dollars for our bench spots in our league. On the weightings, the ones with 2 count double in our scoring system. So, for HRs, for example, the top team in our 16 team league gets 32 points, then 30, etc. So those 2 weight stats are more important in our scoring system. Given this scoring system, is this the right way to set this up?

Thanks again for your help. I was very disappointed not to get to the First Pitch Forum yesterday. I bought my ticket a while ago, but my wife and one of the kids was sick so I couldn't make it from Columbus. Hopefully next year.

Comment

OK, then yes, you have the setup right. So that brings us back to the issue of your league just valuing the pitchers differently than the formula...

Comment

Thanks ... I guess at least I know this this year (just our 3rd as an auction league) so I can overpay relative to the CDG values for maybe one SP and then look for value elsewhere. There were a ton of good values late in the auction last year, but because I had to pay mid-upper $20s for Shields and Gio (after missing out on everybody else), I didn't have money to spend on some great bargains later.

Comment

Working...
                X