Custom Valuation Report and Downloadable Projection Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Valuation Report and Downloadable Projection Files

Those reading this thread (on inflation) know I was struggling a bit with merging the downloaded projection files with data taken from the custom valuation routine. But rather than sidetrack the inflation discussion, I thought I'd cover some more of those points here.

First off, I like the way the custom valuation report has one column for Position and another for Qualifies. That's nicer than the projections file. But I don't know what rule is used to determine qualification. Is it the 20 games played rule?

I noticed between the March 31 download and yesterdays run of Custom Values that, for example, Denorfia's SX has dropped below 100, and Robertson's K/9 and Cmd fall below my LIMA cutoffs (6 and 2 respectively). I'm assuming the valuations report is more current. Is that true? I'm a little lost on which datasets get updated when.

I also noticed that the custom valuation report does not include pitcher's G%, L%, F%, H%, or S%, or hitters' G%, L% or F%. These are in the downloadable projections, and, yes, for some reason, I used VLOOKUP once I got the names to match to move these over to my sheets storing the custom valuation report. Is there a reason the included fields differ like this?

On the issue of the Custom Values report using Lastname,Firstname and the projections file having Last Name in one field and First name in another, my using VLOOKUP did turn up a couple oddities I'll just fill people in on here (these probably don't occur if you don't force VLOOKUP to find an exact match, but, well, 'compulsive' applies here).

Hughes is Phil in the CV and Philip in the projections
    Kennedy is Ian and Ian Patrick
    Kobayashi is Masa and Masahide
    Sonnanstine is Andy and Andrew
    Thompson is Rich and Richard
    Duncan is Shelley and Shelly
    And hey, Travis Buck and Jacoby Ellsbury have trailing blanks after their first names in the downloaded projections file. I'm guessing it'd be handy to have one master list of all the names.

One last user friendly' type comment: I always rearrange the columns in both the CMV and the projections to see what I want in the order I want to see it. But I don't think what I look for is all that different from most. I know we don't all play 5x5 for example, but it would be handy to see something like AB for hitters and IP for pitchers, followed by the normal 5X5 categories, then the normal BPIs. And it'd be really handy to be able to have the custom valuations routine generate an excel readable file......

I'm going to move this to the Tech Support forum so RobR can note some of these things (like the name mismatches). I'll answer what I can:

- both the proj files and the CDG output are coming from the same database, so you should essentially never find data mismatches between the two. And that database is updated daily. For instance, I still see Robertson at 6.0 DOM, 3.0 CTL, 2.0 CMD in both places this morning. If you've found a way to create a mismatch, we need to look into that. I don't have a 3/31 project set handy, unfortunately... but yes, it makes sense that you'd see a shift between 3/31 and 4/10 on some guys.

- it is indeed 20 games for the "qualifies" field. And yes, it's already been requested to make that configurable in the report input.

- I'll let Rob address the issue of adding extra columns to the CDG output, the names, and the Excel export idea.

Comment

Some player names for players we added before they had an MLB appeared changed on their first MLB appearance. The fact that the names don't match between files supports the theory that both weren't run at the same time.

It's worth noting that the stats and projections CSV files can all include player ID's if you append &ids=1 to the URL. For example:
      Code:
      http://baseballhq.com/members/tools/projections/proj.php?lg=M&p=B&t=P&f=csv
      becomes
      Code:
      http://baseballhq.com/members/tools/projections/proj.php?lg=M&p=B&t=P&f=csv&ids=1
      It's already on our list to add CSV export and player id's to custom draft guides.

In general, while the custom draft guide valuation engine was overhauled recently, the UI and reports haven't. Projections and stats reports also have had more recent treatment and contain more output columns. We can add output, but all work takes time and competes against other site enhancements.

I wouldn't change the column order without further convincing. The custom draft guides support custom scoring categories, so there's really two approaches for column order that satisfy everyone. 1) Leave the columns orders with like stats grouped together in the order they're traditionally found (e.g., H, 2B, 3B, HR) or 2) dynamically change column order according to user settings. 2 is a lot of extra work that likely brings little extra return.

To an Excel savvy user like yourself, I recommend the following spreadsheet arrangement. Always paste our projections, YTD, valuations into a worksheet of their own in the workbook. Setup a second worksheet that uses vlookup to create any layout you like.
      While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
      --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
        I'm going to move this to the Tech Support forum so RobR can note some of these things (like the name mismatches).
        Sorry about that Ray, I had the feeling I was doing this in the wrong forum

For instance, I still see Robertson at 6.0 DOM, 3.0 CTL, 2.0 CMD in both places this morning. If you've found a way to create a mismatch, we need to look into that. I don't have a 3/31 project set handy, unfortunately... but yes, it makes sense that you'd see a shift between 3/31 and 4/10 on some guys.
        Interesting. All I can really tell you is that I downloaded the projections file April 3, and Robertson made my bid list with K/9=6, CMD=2 and HR/9=1.2. Made it with no margin for error, now that I look at it. Tuesday night I got the Custom Valuations and Robertson was K/9=5.9 and Cmd=1.9 (and thus would have fallen off my 'bid' radar, stupid as that may sound). So, maybe it changed between 3 APR and 8 APR, but change again as of this morning? I don't know what to say. I can tell you I didn't make a mistake with VLOOKUP - there's nobody in the file I've got with 6 K/9 and 2 CMD, so I know I haven't attached Robertson's name to someone else's projection.

Comment

I don't think it's all that surprising to see the values "wiggling" a little like that.

Comment

I don't think it's all that surprising to see the values "wiggling" a little like that.
            We're talking about daily projected K divided by daily projected IP or BB. Both of these values will need to be rounded as will the result.
            While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
            --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by RobR@HQ View Post
              It's worth noting that the stats and projections CSV files can all include player ID's if you append &ids=1 to the URL. For example:
              Code:
              http://baseballhq.com/members/tools/projections/proj.php?lg=M&p=B&t=P&f=csv
              becomes
              Code:
              http://baseballhq.com/members/tools/projections/proj.php?lg=M&p=B&t=P&f=csv&ids=1
              It's already on our list to add CSV export and player id's to custom draft guides.
              Smiles. I can wait. But thanks.

I wouldn't change the column order without further convincing. The custom draft guides support custom scoring categories, so there's really two approaches for column order that satisfy everyone. 1) Leave the columns orders with like stats grouped together in the order they're traditionally found (e.g., H, 2B, 3B, HR) or 2) dynamically change column order according to user settings. 2 is a lot of extra work that likely brings little extra return.
              Agree with the assessment of Approach 2. I can move the columns around pretty easily. I was just guessing most people do what I do, and a) could well be wrong and b) that's still easier than you programming that capability via user settings.

Always paste our projections, YTD, valuations into a worksheet of their own in the workbook. Setup a second worksheet that uses vlookup to create any layout you like.
              Got it. Thanks.

I think there's one basic issue I don't understand yet tho. Why are there both downloadable projection files and the Custom Valuation routine? Especially if the projections themselves and the basic stats aren't different? I mean, the data in the projection file, that I want (projections on the 5X5 cats and all the BPIs, plus the valuations), is all in the CV report I paste into a worksheet. In fact, I think the only info in the Projections/YTD download that's not in the CV report is L%, H%. S% etc that I mentioned earlier, and that could be added to the draft guide. The $ val in the 5X5 column in the projections file is meaningful only if you're in a 12 team league (and obviously wreaked havoc on my initial foray into learning about inflation). I mean, if you want dollar values for players to approximate your league, you've got to use the CV report anyway, right? And if you don't want them for that, what do you want them for? I don't know. It seems to me that I don't want the projections file anymore - I just want to go straight to the draft guide and get projections and valuations for my league, And people that just want the projections would do the same thing, get the same numbers and be just as happy.....Maybe I'll understand it when I want YTD numbers, but heading into the draft I wish I'd just worked with the CV report.

Comment

We're talking about daily projected K divided by daily projected IP or BB. Both of these values will need to be rounded as will the result.
                Got it. Wiggling expected. The mind reels at these changing daily, but nevermind.

Comment

- it is indeed 20 games for the "qualifies" field.
                  I'm hoping this is still true, but just noticed that Pablo Sandoval has a "3" under QLFY in the CDG output. But he only appeared at 1B 17 times in 2008.

Or is the CDG rule "20 games or the position most appeared at"?

If so, is there a way to filter that out - in my league, a player must play 20 games to qualify, or starts the season as a utility only.
                  12-team, 5x5, mixed, auction: 14b/11p/15 bench (any)

Comment

Bump.

Need a ruling on the above question, por favor.
                    12-team, 5x5, mixed, auction: 14b/11p/15 bench (any)

Comment

Sorry, missed this first time. Yes, I believe we go with pos. with most games if 20 isn't reached at any position. And no, that's not configurable (yet).

Comment

Working...
                      X