Can't open PQS csv files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't open PQS csv files

I've tried opening directly from the site, and I've tried saving to disk and opening from there. Either way, Excel gives the error message "SYLK: file format is not valid." What gives?

Me too

I get the same error using Excel 2003 SP2. The file does open though after clicking OK.
    Red

Comment

Does it open cleanly or does it contain errors? I'll need some time to look into it.
      While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
      --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

After clicking OK

on the "SYLK: file format is not valid." error message. The file does open and looks clean to me.
        Red

Comment

There is a Microsoft bug report about this. The problem is that the first cell contains "ID", and apparently that is an issue.

Comment

Thanks Tom, that's an easy fix. I can call it PlayerID and be done with it.
            While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
            --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Should be fixed now.
              --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That fixed it. Thanks!

Comment

My Microsoft Excel Viewer cannot open the Player Statistics and Projections csv files. How can I get my Excel Viewer to accept them?

Comment

I'm not sure that Microsoft Excel Viewer supports any formats other than Excel .XLS files.
                    --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Why did HQ switch to csv files? They used to be Excel files in the past.

Comment

They've been CSV for a few years now. We switched to CSV because we can generate that dynamically on the site and offers much broader support. Creating an Excel file requires using Excel. If you need something free to open them, try out http://OpenOffice.org or maybe Google Applications online. I believe they're both free and support CSV.
                        --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Will do. Thank you, Rob.

Comment

Working...
                          X