PQS Logs - Felix Hernandez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PQS Logs - Felix Hernandez

To begin with, I really wasn't sure where within the Forum this would be the best place to post this.

Nevertheless, I've always pretty much subscribed to your methodology as it pertains to creating a pitcher's PQS score. But the "4" given to King Felix for his Wed. night start seems a bit ridiculous. Okay, he didn't meet the "his number of strikeouts must be no fewer than two less than his innings pitched." Consequently, I also understand why it's a "4." But let's face it, anyone who watched Hernandez's outing saw an absolutely dominating and simply overpowering pitching performance. Hernandez's outing on Wed. is a classic example of a flaw in the PQS formula - at least as it applies to the so-called "dominance" category. BTW... this is just an observation, not necessarily a gripe. Keep up the great work!!

Steve

As you say, it's a formula, not a subjective assessment of how good a pitcher "looked" in any one game. We freely admit that the PQS formula is designed for ease of use as much as it is for accuracy. The qERA tables that convert PQS scores to ERAs say that the formula gets the job done... just because we get an outlier every now and then doesn't mean the whole system is flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger"Blues" View Post
      Hernandez's outing on Wed. is a classic example of a flaw in the PQS formula - at least as it applies to the so-called "dominance" category.
      Don't PSQ-4 and PQS-5 outings both qualify as DOMinating? So, in the dominance category, Hardandez hasn't been slighted in the least!

Comment

Correct, tim.

Comment

Didn't Deric Lowe's no-hitter a few years ago only score a PQS-4? I seem to recall he only thruck out six batters in his nine innings of work.

Comment

Working...
          X