• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Tom laughed.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

I participate as a consultant in some Web-design work. The trouble you invariably encounter is that it's hard to optimize a site for the "typical" or "regular" user when you can't confidently identify what the "typical" user is or wants. On sites like the ones I work on, with literally thousands of hits a minute, it's a fools' errand. But even with a smaller audience, like HQ's, what is sauce for the goose is not going to be sauce for the gander.

All that said, I know Ron and the guys appreciate the well-intentioned comments, and we are committed to making the HQ experience as good as possible for all users.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

I'm not here to defend HQ or Meebo. HQ makes tons of improvements every year.

However, Meebo's observations appear to be genuinely what he perceived as a new user. That is valuable feedback to the host. The users that have been around a while have adapted and lose their sensitivity when it comes to the perceptions of people's first tour around. (It's a little rough but I've gotten used to it-macho thing).

The key is that each new user only gets "ONE" first impression. That feedback is unique because it's fresh. That's a lot of its value. Doesn't mean that the site runs out and makes all the changes because of one new guy. But don't lose track of what the feedback is. It's rare and precious.

Let me give you an example. My son changed schools this year. This school has been around for 30+ years and has over 90% returning students. Many are there all the way from K-12. Most of the families, the administration, and the teachers have multiple kids there and are totally in synch with the campus and the culture. They are fine people.

However, this school is terrible at helping new students learn their way around and feel welcomed. I believe part of the reason is that so many of the returning students have been there so long that they simply FORGOT what it was like to be a new student and how it feels to be lost on campus (where's the lunchroom)? They are so comfortable and used to everybody knowing everybody else, and everybody knowing where everything is, that they have a big disconnect with new students/new families.

They also get a very small dose of feedback from new people, because there are so few new students, and many of those feel intimidated to even voice a single discouraging word. Therefore, every year, this school continues to do a poor job of helping new students get indoctrinated and feel welcomed and know their way around.

So when HQ gets some feedback from new users, I would recommend that they take it seriously (which I know they do) but more than that, this precious feedback should be kept in a more special category than basic user complaints for the next round of improvements.
        "As often is the case, GE is right." -- Davitt@HQ

Comment

Im 31
          HQ Rules
          Dont change a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes a little getting used to but was you play around for half a season, you will never leave!!!!
          We Got the Teamwork to Make the Dream Work!!!!!!! Lets Go!!!!

Comment

I do find the site navigation difficult, or at least non-intuitive. When I stumble upon an article I like, I often bookmark it for fear that I won't be able to recreate the steps I took to get there in the first place. And, as a result I wonder what nuggets I'm missing because I never stumble upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by RON@HQ View Post
              Yeah, the average age of our subscriber base is right around the beginnings of the bi-focal period. I don't worry about our customers aging out of existence because that average has remained fairly steady for 10 years.

However, as I turn 50 later this year, it's still tough to look at that number in my rear view mirror.
              Wow, you are only 1 year older than me?

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                I do find the site navigation difficult, or at least non-intuitive. When I stumble upon an article I like, I often bookmark it for fear that I won't be able to recreate the steps I took to get there in the first place. And, as a result I wonder what nuggets I'm missing because I never stumble upon them.
                I also have difficulty navigating the site but have adapted as best I can. I agree with GE the that new users insight is invaluable because they are probably a reflection of others who are new to the site or are considering joining. I also agree with the poster who mentioned that the newness of the redesign may make HQ a bit more defensive than they probably would be otherwise.

Comment

IMO, if you want to see a horrible web site redesign, then go to USA Today. I can't figure out where anything is now. Yech!

Comment

Plans for redesign?

I've placed the last 9 years in a row using BHQ. Don't change a thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X