Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the "grid" be copied to an excell file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the "grid" be copied to an excell file?

Was wondering if the grid feature of the CV could be copied to an excel file.

Don't ask why, I am just bored.

I tried to cut and paste, but that doesn't seem to work very well.

Yes. Start with the first column heading, NAME, and highlight all of the data. In Excel, don't just do a normal paste; select, Edit, Paste Special, Text.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
      Yes. Start with the first column heading, NAME, and highlight all of the data. In Excel, don't just do a normal paste; select, Edit, Paste Special, Text.
      BTW, this also works for copying the Mock Draft selection grid. I started a workbook with each Mock as a sheet. Very handy!
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Basically, anything formatted in columns on a Web page can be copied-and-pasted into Excel in this fashion. I've done it with the splits on ESPN, for example. Just try not to include images when you highlight the data.

Comment

Maybe I was not being clear.
          I am talking about the "draft grid."

Not the page that shows, name and all the BPI information.

I tried this "paste special" when I have the "grid" page on the screen and it does not transfer.

Almost all names end up in the first few cells.

I can copy the full report or positional report correctly, but not the grid.

Comment

Oh, sorry. No, that grid can't be loaded into Excel properly. It's more of a report than a true grid.

Comment

If you mean the grid for taking into the draft, i always do it. I forget how, but you just have to adjust the columns.

Comment

I haven't done it yet this year, but I just did it. Just select upper left corner and select the entire sheet. Don't try "select all" Copy and paste onto upper box of a blank excel sheet. Then just adjust the columns and rows. I usually edit this entire document throughout my pre-season. Adding my own selections, moving them up or down. etc.etc. Until rotolab came along, this grid was the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Doc, I can't get that to work at all. I highlighted the grid from the very first column heading, R$, down to the last name in the last column. A plain paste into Excel definitely does not work at all. A Paste Special, Text sort of works, but the names do not appear in the proper place. For example, Ortiz is listed in the DH cell next to the dollar amount, but the next DH, Hafner, appears under the R$ heading.

Comment

no, that doesn't work Doc.

Doing the NL, I get most of my guys grouped under the R$ and DH spots...just a mess.

You given out some BAAAAD prescriptions, Doc!
                    Last edited by teddyballgame; 02-13-2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Do web queries handle it any better?
                      While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
                      --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No I think the DOC is on the mark here, as I've been able to do it for at least the past two years. If you copy the entire page starting with R$ and than opt for paste special>HTML it should work. The one caveat with this is that formatting (moving cells and the accompanying player around) can be tricky.

That being said, I've scrapped it this year and switched to manually creating my own so that I can move players around.
                        "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"
                        Willy Wonka

Comment

No, Paste Special/HTML doesn't work, either. If someone can show me how they did it just now (not last year -- things have changed behind the scenes on our pages, so what worked once might not work anymore), I'd be very interested.

Comment

Tom, doesn't post #8 say that Doc "just did it?"
                            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Tom, doesn't post #8 say that Doc "just did it?"
                              True... but what he said does not work.

Comment

Working...
                              X