RotoLab Value Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RotoLab Value Question

I've never used the RotoLab program before and had a question (actually, a couple).

Can you download BBHQ projections, make your valuations, etc. and then import that Excel document into RotoLab? Or can you only download directly from the BBHQ or the server?

If you can only download directly from the server, does Rotolab allow you to use it like an Excel file, where you can put in new categories, calculations, etc. to personalize player values?

Or is the only real way to put in personalized values by doing calculations outside the program in Excel and then hand-entering the new values into RotoLab?

I ask this because I use my own method of valuing a player, but use BBHQ's projections. Normally, I do all this on an Excel spreadsheet. I'm worried that if I use RotoLab the only means of calculating and employing my own values will be time-consuming and onerous.

Any answers/advice on this matter?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Stat Boy View Post
    Can you download BBHQ projections, make your valuations, etc. and then import that Excel document into RotoLab? Or can you only download directly from the BBHQ or the server?
    No, you cannot import any other file than BBHQ projections.
    If you can only download directly from the server, does Rotolab allow you to use it like an Excel file, where you can put in new categories, calculations, etc. to personalize player values?
    Kind of. There are 4 customizable fields but they can only be filled with data and not formulas
    Or is the only real way to put in personalized values by doing calculations outside the program in Excel and then hand-entering the new values into RotoLab? I ask this because I use my own method of valuing a player, but use BBHQ's projections.
    Given your special valuation program, it seems like this might be needed. However, Rotolab can do a lot. You might want to try to download the demo program and play around with it to see if it can meet your needs.
    If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
    -Bill Lyon

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Boy View Post
      does Rotolab allow you to use it like an Excel file, where you can put in new categories, calculations, etc. to personalize player values?
      Almost correct, Neuman, I do appreciate the help with the questions. There are 4 user defined value fields that can only contain data (i.e. player values), but there are 6 custom stat categories that you can be as creative as you want to shape the calculated values.

-Merv
      RotoLab

Comment

Clarification

Merv, what I normally like to do is figure out values based on my own SGP calculations specific to my league's history. If I'm understanding you correctly, there are as many as 6 categories that I'd be allowed to do that in. Is that right? And is that 6 total or 6 per Hitters/6 per Pitchers?

If I'm not understanding this correctly, is there any other easy solution to using BBHQ's projections and my valuations?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, I'll try and speak for Merv again. Hope I get it right this time (will there be a prize? )

You CAN input your own SGP bases, means and denominators. In fact, the program is sophisticated enough that you could just plug your leagues' standings into its "spreadsheet" and it will calculate them for you!

And, there are 6 "custom" categories to create (and, yes, 6 hitting and 6 pitching). There are several "non-traditional" categories already built into the system (i.e. net saves, K-BB, TB+W, etc.)

Again, I would recommend that you download the free demo of the program to give it a test drive. Of course, one of the best parts of the program is Merv. His customer service is second to none and he doesn't even yell at his customers who give out incomplete information on message boards
          If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
          -Bill Lyon

Comment

Neuman! (in my best Seinfeld). Yes, that is exactly correct. Use the SGP worksheet to work up your own parameters. But if you do so try to look at several years standings to get a true sense of what you think the standings will look like. Toss out any outliers that may have been a one year aberration (i.e. 3 teams punting saves one season).

Comment

Working...
            X