Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I bookmark articles and Forum threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I bookmark articles and Forum threads?

As we talk about things in the forums people often ask questions that have been extensively discussed before. I'd like to bookmark threads or HQ articles I think are particularly useful so that I can link those in future posts (or return for my own benefit).

I've tried bookmarking these pages and my computer forms a bookmark. But when I try to load the bookmark it goes to a generic HQ page and says not logged in (even when I AM logged in). I try logging in and redoing the bookmark but back to the same place.

I have no problem with the fact I need to be logged in to access content - of course! - but why can't I get to it when logged in?

I found a workaround for forum posts in that they have a number so I can just go to the forums and plug in that number in the browser address and it goes to the right place. But I haven't found a workaround for articles.

>>>Most recent example, questions about Davitt's Inflation article I wanted to link.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Hmm, I don't have any trouble with bookmarking posts. I just bookmarked yours. I exited my browser (Firefox), got back in, clicked on the bookmark. I got the user ID/password box for connecting to the HQ server, and then your post appeared. I've also done it using Internet Explorer. So, not sure what's happening on your end.

Can you confirm that the bookmark's properties point to a specific Forum page? When you click on it, what address appears on the Address bar?

Comment

Here is the bookmark....

(Note: the bookmark and the this post show the full link but for some reasons it shows as "..." in this post.)

Here is the text on the page that comes up....
      ---------------------
      Page Not Found

Unfortunately, the page you have tried to access was not found.
      Please chose from one of the following options:---------------------------------------
      If I click "Login here" it send me to.....

....rather than the bookmarked page.

Using Firefox v. 1.0.5.9
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

When I check Properties on your bookmark there is no"/" between "forums" and "showthread" as there should be. That might be the problem. Don't know why that might have happened but it has.

Comment

Also, I bookmarked this thread, got out of the browser and had no problem coming right back to it. So I think that the aforementioned missing "/" is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls View Post
            Using Firefox v. 1.0.5.9
            That's an old release, so your problem could be due to a Firefox bug. I'd upgrade. I am always very cautious about upgrading my browser, and I am not yet on Firefox 2.0, but I've upgraded to 1.5.0.9 and I haven't had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
              That's an old release, so your problem could be due to a Firefox bug. I'd upgrade. I am always very cautious about upgrading my browser, and I am not yet on Firefox 2.0, but I've upgraded to 1.5.0.9 and I haven't had any problems.
              I'm dyslexic......I have 1.5.0.9 and just transposed the 5 and 0 in my post.

Lefty! You genius! Yes, I don't know why that happens either but that's a solution I can live with. Now all I have to do is click the bookmark and add the "/" if it's missing and it goes right where I want. Thanks much.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls View Post
                I'm dyslexic
                You? Dyslexic? Inconceivable! (I wonder how long it will be before that joke gets old )
                If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
                -Bill Lyon

Comment

Could have happened already...
                  "A republic if you can keep it."

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Pie View Post
                    Could have happened already...
                    Incontheivable!

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
                      Apropos of nothing, really, but I am on Firefox 2.0.0.1 and it works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X