Forum Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Etiquette

I have a Owners wanted post in the Forum in the clubhouse section, I posted it a bit more than a week ago and as time has passed it has dropped back to the second page, I had considered making a "bump" post which would return it to the front page again but thought I would see if this would violate the accepted rules of conduct on the forum. Any feedback appreciated.

Bumping is OK. You may bump without fear of flaming.

Just don't bump if there's no reply in 20 minutes....
    Last edited by Yardsmen GM; 01-20-2007, 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
    "Give that fan a contract!" - Rex Barney

He's throwing a 2 hit shutout and he's shaking me off, can you believe that sh**! Charlie, here comes the deuce; and when you speak of me, speak well. - Crash Davis

Comment

I agree with Yardsmen. You may get a different crowd at different junctures on this site, so if you slip to page 2, you gotta bump it for the benefit of those who may not have seen your thread.

Good luck.
      RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

This isn't covered in the Forum Rules, so feel free to use your own judgment. My sense is that bumps are fine if it's been 24 hours or more since the original post without a response.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Bill, I made a bump on your behalf -- I hope you're OK with it.
          RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

That's the stupidest f*%@ing question in the world! (Just kidding--in a thread about etiquette, I thought it would be funny to be rude. Though, I guess if you have to explain the joke, its probably not that funny). Anyway, I think the actual preference would be to bump the thread if it falls off of the first page as opposed to starting a new thread altogether.
            Last edited by helloneumn; 01-20-2007, 02:52 PM.
            If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
            -Bill Lyon

Comment

Thanks everyone for your timely response and especially to those who in effect bumped it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuman@HQ View Post
                I guess if you have to explain the joke, its probably not that funny.
                Carson used to kill by explaining jokes.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Carson's non verbal skills were a major asset to his brand of comedy. That stuff has died out, with comedians now relying on a battery of writers to script every single word.

The Karnak stuff was pretty daring for its time, and timeless.

I read an unauthorized bio on Carson and what you saw on TV is pretty much what the guy was about in private -- he could not stop being the guy behind the desk. I recall one story in particular when Carson hosted a party on some cruise line for all staffers of the Tonight Show, and all of them had to put up with his card tricks, which they had seen him do many times before. Talk about an insecure attention-whore -- a persona that worked well on tv, but which he sadly also owned in real life.
                  RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

I read articles etc. about him that concluded he was very insecure outside the very small circle of people he trusted as genuine friends, and for that reason preferred not to be around them--felt compelled to "entertain" them. Inside that circle, he was a different guy. I suppose the same is true for all of us.

Interestingly, he also spent a lot of time in Africa, setting up charitable stuff for orphans and other underprivileged kids, but avoided public mention of it.

Comment

The thing about him is how much of a pioneer he was for late night shows but then he just dropped out of the limelight right after Leno took over -- outside of very few public appearances he become a very private citizen. Kind of odd.
                      RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by JVR View Post
                        The thing about him is how much of a pioneer he was for late night shows but then he just dropped out of the limelight right after Leno took over -- outside of very few public appearances he become a very private citizen. Kind of odd.
                        I wonder if part of the reason he did this was because he really wanted Letterman to get the gig and this was a way to protest--and, if it fit into his personality anyway, all the better.
                        If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
                        -Bill Lyon

Comment

Leno taking over was a very acrimonious process. I don't believe Carson ever made an appearance on Leno's show, and Leno's references to Carson over the years have been sparse to non-existent.
                          RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

I believe from my reading about Carson over the years is that his retreat into extreme privacy was not at all out of character. He was extremely private even when he was entertaining--go out, do the gig, go home behind high walls.

Also, anyone interested in the whole Leno/Letterman saga should read Bill Carter's book The Late Shift (IIRC), which got deeply into the whole story and is a very breezy, interesting read.

Comment

My name is Bumpty, pronounced with a Umpty.
                              Yo forum, oh how I like to bump thee.
                              And all the posters in the top ten--please allow me to bump thee.
                              I'm steppin' tall, y'all,
                              and just like Humpty Dumpty
                              you're gonna fall when the stereos pump me.
                              I like a rumpus,
                              I like my threads bump-us,
                              I'm an old cuss. Don't try and wump us.

(With apologies to Ditigal Underground.)
                              What's the rumpus?

Comment

Working...
                              X