HQ top 100/250/etc/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ top 100/250/etc/

I havent been able to find a top 100 list for roto drafting on the HQ site. Am I missing it?

I believe the straight draft guide comes out in early March.
    If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
    -Bill Lyon

Comment

I'm not a straight draft guy but couldn't you download the 2007 projections and sort by RCG or RAR or BPV - whatever makes sense for you straight drafters?

Comment

It's in the Baseball Forecaster (in the back)
        "As often is the case, GE is right." -- Davitt@HQ

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEagle View Post
          It's in the Baseball Forecaster (in the back)
          Not too sure how to interpret its contents, however.

Rollins 4th overall? Furcal 5th overall? Jeter 7th overall?

Juan Pierre ahead of Manny Ramirez?

Johann Santana 2nd overall? ARod 10th overall? Joe Nathan 26th overall?

Am I misreading the data or is it compiled toward some other purpose? I don't think I have seen one draft (except maybe for Santana sneaking up in the top 5 picks overall, once in a while), where any of these rankings hold up. What gives?
          RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
            I'm not a straight draft guy but couldn't you download the 2007 projections and sort by RCG or RAR or BPV - whatever makes sense for you straight drafters?
            I was thinking the same thing.

Or perhaps using the custom draft feature on this site, which should spit out data that is more closely catered to your league parameters. Unless of course, its database needs updating. Does anyone know its current status?
            RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by JVR View Post
              Not too sure how to interpret its contents, however.

Rollins 4th overall? Furcal 5th overall? Jeter 7th overall?

Juan Pierre ahead of Manny Ramirez?

Johann Santana 2nd overall? ARod 10th overall? Joe Nathan 26th overall?

Am I misreading the data or is it compiled toward some other purpose? I don't think I have seen one draft (except maybe for Santana sneaking up in the top 5 picks overall, once in a while), where any of these rankings hold up. What gives?
              I don't have my forecaster in front of me, but I think there is an explanation there. This is the straight draft list, no? IIRC, the darker the shading the earlier you try to grab the guys - a scarcity approach, perhaps?

My experience has been that HQ lists tend to overvalue SBs, so I take that into account as I prepare my own draft lists.

Maybe Ray can chime in, too.

Comment

The Straight Draft list in the Forecaster is tailored to the pos. scarcity approach. It's based in the Forecaster's R$ values, with a "bump" given to guys who play scarce positions.

Just like the SD guide, that list gives no consideration to "market" values, so just because you see a Furcal ranked in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean you should draft him there.

The suggestion of using the Custom Valuator to generate lists is also a good one.

Comment

The Forecaster's R$ values are evidently more suited to an auction format, whereas as we all know, a totally different dynamic is at play in a snake draft setting.

If the Forecaster snake draft rankings are not compliant with reality, then they have limited value -- bottom line, if you are in a snake draft format, you'll have to look elsewhere for reference points. You're going to get burned big time trying to fit auction values in a snake draft set-up.

I'd rather filter via BPV figures, using the custom draft grid and reviewing samples from mock draft central expert drafts. Plus a healthy dose of advice from the Roster Management threads.
                  RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

The post by JVR shows as #200,000! Put your cursor over the "#9" in the upper right on the blue bar, and look down in the bottom grey bar on your minitor, and the post id is 200000.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ View Post
                      The post by JVR shows as #200,000! Put your cursor over the "#9" in the upper right on the blue bar, and look down in the bottom grey bar on your minitor, and the post id is 200000.

DAMMIT!! I've been posting like a fiend this week...

Wait till 300,000!
                      What's the rumpus?

Comment

200,000th Post Speech

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ View Post
                        Well, I'd like to thank the Academy and the randomness of it all.

I'd also like to thank Dell, my parents, the opportunity afforded by a paid subscription, idle time and the propensity for abject speculation.

I'm also grateful that there is no likelihood of a streaker suddenly appearing during my speech, that there is no timekeeper as I dispense my praise to all those who made this possible, and to boot, I don't even need a seat-filler.

I would be remiss if I did not admit that I were something of a fraud. "JVR" are not my real initials, but are those of my son. It is ultimately for him that I toil here in anonymity, rather than spending more time with him.

I would also like to add that how any of this is going to help me in snake drafts, is beyond me.

Thank-you and a good day to all.
                        RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

"JVR" are not my real initials, but are those of my son. It is ultimately for him that I toil here in anonymity, rather than spending more time with him.
                          At least you have your priorities in order! (Did we hit Ron's birthday?)
                          What's the rumpus?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tom View Post
                            At least you have your priorities in order! (Did we hit Ron's birthday?)
                            The healthy shot on the back of the head that I fully deserved.

Thank-you, Dr. Phil.
                            RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

If the Forecaster snake draft rankings are not compliant with reality...
                              I think this is a rather large exaggeration of the caveats I gave above.

Comment

Working...
                              X