Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I am new to baseballhq. Just started a subscription in October, so I am not very familiar with the websites content. Since October, at least, there has not been much to read. My question is: the sort of information that is in the new edition of the forecaster, does that type of material appear on the website or not. So far there has been little info that would affect '07 drafts. Maybe that is forthcoming. Just asking so I know if the website is worth the money. So far, it hasn't been.
    To Mordor we will take you.

HQ can respond but if it's all right I can give you my opinion, having been around a little while?

When February hits there will be much more activity on the site. TONS. Multiple columns daily and pretty much all the latest news. This really is the "offseason" for HQ as well as for MLB.

Forecaster player "blurbs" will appear in the Player Link Database sometime in the near future. So you can see the written comments on each player. And 1 year projections from Forecaster will also appear there at some point. As of yet, the Forecaster is the only source to use for multiyear data on players.

The schedule right now is weekly columns. So look for new stuff to come out each friday. Maybe 3 or 4 articles.

Be sure to check out the "New User Site Guide"

The Command Center is an excellent overview of most of the content on the site, especially during the season. (At the moment its slightly less usefull because it's not clear which columns will be updated on Friday - just that some will. So the main page of most recent articles works better I think.)

And of course, "The Forums Never Sleep" or so they say. So you can always find lively discussion here. Last offseason I asked a lot of questions about player valuations, constitution rules, etc and got a great education from fellow posters.

PS: Hmmm, not sure I should be helping you Ringwraiths.....the Dark Lord already has enough minions to do his bidding!
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

I couldn't have said it better myself, Mark
      If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
      -Bill Lyon

Comment

Originally posted by Neuman@HQ View Post
        I couldn't have said it better myself, Mark
        ...but you just had to say so to keep Markus within shouting distance for # of posts.

Comment

Well, now that you mention it...
          If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
          -Bill Lyon

Comment

You might also check out another thread on the same topic, which had a short response from Ron. Yes, the owner checks out the forums fairly often.

It's true that there aren't nearly as many new articles this time of year. However, most of the subscribers who are around at this time of the year have 12-month subscriptions where they pay considerably less per month than the guys who buy 3 or 6-month subscriptions, so it kind of evens out.

Since you're new to the site, I suggest you find the columns that you like the best and then look at the bottom of the column for links to some of the prior articles in that same series. There are a lot of old articles that you haven't read and should still be entertaining & informative.
            Last edited by Michael@HQ; 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM. Reason: Corrected link at Ray's suggestion
            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I, too, am a little disappointed in the lack of content as this time of the year. Unfortunately, my draft begins in January, so I'm looking for new information pretty much year-round. With all the free agent signings and trades in MLB, there is certainly enough to write about!

Comment

Checking out Rafael Soriano recently, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by spottedscout View Post
                  I, too, am a little disappointed in the lack of content as this time of the year. Unfortunately, my draft begins in January, so I'm looking for new information pretty much year-round. With all the free agent signings and trades in MLB, there is certainly enough to write about!
                  Scout, I assume you're seeing the Marketwatch columns that are dealing with the player movement on a weekly basis.

2007 projections will be up tomorrow, that will get the ball rolling.

Not that January drafts are all that unusual these days, but what format is that league?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to delay judgment till later. Mostly I just didn't know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
                      Checking out Rafael Soriano recently, Michael?
                      Well, even though random player links are fun, I corrected the link in my prior post. Thanks, Ray!

Comment

Ray, I appreciate the weekly updates -- I just miss the daily ones! :-)

I play in a Diamond Mind league, where we manage the games ourselves. Because we have to schedule 160 head-to-head games with people across the country, we stretch out the season to give ourselves enough time to do so. So our season begins on February 1st and ends October 31st. The playoffs are in November, and in January, we draft.

And to answer your next question, yes, I have a very understanding wife. :-)

Comment

I'm in an APBA league where we do the same thing, 20 games per month from April-November. Playoffs are just starting this weekend...

Comment

I just had to come back to this post and ammend what I said. The articles have been ramping up and the player projections are quite helpful. I'm definitely a satisfied subscriber. I can't imagine how helpful this site will be in-season. Now I just need to try purchasing a copy of the Forecaster for next year. Thank you HQ staff!

Comment

Hey, someone else with a Lord of the Rings avatar!

Classy of you to make a follow-up post, Ringwraiths.

Comment

Working...
                              X