Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do The New Forum Rules Mean We Can't Mention Players By Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do The New Forum Rules Mean We Can't Mention Players By Name?

See DeepLeft's post to get an understanding of my question: http://www.baseballhq.com/members/fo...ote=1&p=170823

First, I was under the impression that the new forum rules simply prohibited lineups in signatures.

I can't imagine that our forum moderators want us to avoid mentioning the names of any players in our posts in order to prevent searches turning up false positives. While I finally figured out everyone to whom he was referrring to in his post, it took a bit more reading to figure out who everyone was. I had to labor more to get through his post. If this became the standard for posting in these forums, I'd be less likely to read as many posts as I do (and reading posts in the BBHQ forums is one of the main ways I'm teaching myself fanalytics).

Additionally, when I type "lidge," for instance, into the search engine, I want to find every mention of his name in the posts around the message boards. If I can gather one tidbit of information with every mention of his name, that sometimes adds up to quite a bit of gained knowledge. Sure, from time to time I find his name in a long list of players on a roster with no specific discussion of the target player, but that false positive is worth it in my opinion.

Plus, if I want to find only posts where a specific player is the focus, I configure my search to find mentions of the player in post titles only.

So how are we supposed to handle this on the forum? I know that I would be hampered in my research if everyone does what DeepLeft did (not picking on DeepLeft; I'm just saying...).
    10 team al-only auction dynasty league. $285 budget. 35-man roster, 8-man minor league roster. We start 9 offensive & 11 pitchers (everything else is reserve). Stats: Off - R H HR RBI BB SB AVG OPS Pitch - QS S HLD K ERA K/BB WHIP BAA. also in a 10 team nl-only league w/ the same settings.

When I read Ron's post about taking players names out of the signature's, I felt it was pretty clear that he wanted to do that to increase the chances of finding relevant discussion when you searched for a player.

If I type in "Lidge", I should be able to find posts discussing him, not just a bunch of various posts with his name in the signature.

If everyone stops using the actual names of players then the search would eventually not be able to find any relevant posts.

When I first read the post DeepLeft, I got the impression he was either having a little fun with the new rules OR was a little frustrated with having to remove his signature.

Comment

Hear hear

I was confusing myself!

Comment

I agree with Regis. If a person is discussing their lineup and getting feedback from others it is not a "false positive" - you may get some very interesting tidbits or opinions. As opposed to if you see a name in someone's signature, which tells you nothin at all (and given the player is rostered in most every league is likely to be the dominant result of a search).
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
        Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Agreed, I believe the new rule was specific to signatures.

Comment

Too bad we can't adjust the search ghizmo to exclude sigs. I kind of like the lineups-in-sigs utility.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Yeah, but the problem is that every time I try to figure out if Marvin Miller is a good keeper prospect, I wind up with your sig.
              MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ
                Too bad we can't adjust the search ghizmo to exclude sigs. I kind of like the lineups-in-sigs utility.
                But think it through with people like me posting......I have 4 roto teams and post like 10 messages a day. Do you really want my 4 rosters of people multiplied by all most posts cluttering up the boards?

(Why do I feel a "you could post less" retort coming on? )
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                  Yeah, but the problem is that every time I try to figure out if Marvin Miller is a good keeper prospect, I wind up with your sig.
                  I know what you mean...I was investigating a trade for Nick Green, did a search, and came up with all of your posts
                  Let every child available for adoption become eligible for adoption..

Comment

Mark ... I just thought that if the search could be made to exclude your sig, then the problem would be solved. As it is, every time you post a roster question, theoretically you have to post the roster anyway.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

On the other site where people have this in there signatures you get a post of...

"I agree" (a single line)

...followed by about 15 lines of rosters. It's not just a search problem.....it's a "clutter" problem, IMHO.

Looking at both sides: I don't believe the signatures come up in searches on the software that other site is using. So the search problem doesn't exist there. (But the editing capabilities are far, far more primative than here.) OR, what might be cool is if this info (rosters) were in a section that doesn't usually print for "I agree" type posts. I know there is a checkbox for signatures so if people had the roster in the signature, but chose not to include unnecessarily in posts that could be okay. For me though, I would miss my signature tagline (and other people's too)....unless those had somewere else to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve NY
                        I know what you mean...I was investigating a trade for Nick Green, did a search, and came up with all of your posts
                        And you were the better off for it . . .
                        MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Birty,
                          Thanks to you I didn't move on Zito, altered the deal and got Mussina and Soriano. Would have had Buehrle unloaded for Lackey, but this weekend's performance by the both of them caused the other owner to pull his counter-offer. Too bad we do everything on Monday and don't have "instant trades!"

Comment

Working...
                          X