X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance of Year Projections

I really liked that feature last season
    Is the anyway to do the math for us on the projections page

You have the full season projection, then the YTD projection. In previous seasons there was the Balance of Year projection next. Can we bring this feature back
    We Got the Teamwork to Make the Dream Work!!!!!!! Lets Go!!!!

Balance of year data is available in the playerlink database....but that won't help if you want a bulk file that can be searched and manipulated. Just thought I'd mention.....
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

The "PROJ + YTD" data is supposed to show balance-of-season projections. In fact, the heading for the right half of the spreadsheet says "Balance of Season Projections." Maybe it's an error on our part? I'll ask Tech.

Comment

Thanks Tom

You da Man
        We Got the Teamwork to Make the Dream Work!!!!!!! Lets Go!!!!

Comment

The projection pages have YTD stats ( Actual ) and then the Balance of Season Projections. There is a seperate balance of season projection page as well. The balance of season projections currently are updated weekly, but I am working on making these daily.

Comment

balance of year projections...

Matt,

I have a simple question/request...

I have mentioned this several times on here but haven't seen any response. On the CSV projections files, is there a way that you can get the projected 5 x 5 dollar values to come thru as something more than a whole number? In other words, can this number be made to show up as a dollars AND cents figure like it did before this new format? Apparently, I am alone on wanting this, but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. I rely heavily on the projected dollar values and the more detail I can get, the better. Again, it was this way before the changes, so I would hope it wouldn't take too much to make this happen.

Otherwise, I have no major beef with the changes. It just seems like this little part of it (for me anyway) made the projections worse and less helpful than they were before, and I would think any upgrades should make them better. Thanks for your help and consideration.

PS - I am happy to hear that you are working on updating the projections daily.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

I'd cast a vote in favor of the dollars & cents numbers, too, if it's not a big hassle, though it really matters most to me during the preseason. I usually submit those projected $$ values to a few manipulations (including inflation, a reliability adjustment, and +/- for our roster needs) before our auction, so it's nice to start out with a fractional number, even though I always format it to round to the nearest whole number when I'm done.

On the other hand, given all of the discussion about the inherent inaccuracy of some of these forecasts, maybe those cents just create a misleading illusion of precision with some non-significant digits.
              2021 Teams: Pandemic Petrels - 15-team mixed redraft (HQ Forum Masters); Patioboater's Puddle Ducks - 15-team, mixed, slow-draft-and-hold (HQ Slow Winter Draft); Regal Beagles - AL keeper (I-96 League), on hold for 2020.

3x Champion of the Forum Masters League, 2x Champion of the HQ Slow Draft League - Sic transit gloria mundi

Comment

Let me research this, the valuator is already setup to easily do decimals. I just need to make sure where all the dollar values are stored can handle them.

Comment

I agree with Patioboater's comments, that showing dollars and cents is more important during the pre-season.
                  "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Thanks for the response...

Thanks for the quick response Matt. I appreciate your efforts in making my experience with BBHQ more enjoyable and helpful.

BTW, It IS Important to me during the regular season, not just the preseason. I will be looking for the upgrade. Thanks again, Matt.

Comment

Much as Chone Figgins owners would love him to steal 55 bases from this time forth, and Carl Crawford to get 649 more ABs, those were pre-season projections. The "Balance of Season Projections" are in fact showing the complete-year projections from before Opening Day. I assume this is one of the glitches that will be cleaned up soon.

Comment

I'm in the camp that believes cents in projections would be meaningless. It's trying to get too precise with non-significant digits, so you get the illusion of meaning where there is no meaning.

So how do I differentiate between players with identical 5x5 values? By sorting them next on BPV. Presto, meaningful numbers.
                        MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

I'm with you that they're meaningless per se, but I find that they do help a bit behind the scenes when I'm making adjustments to those $$ forecasts in the preseason. It's the principal of carrying through your non-significant digits in your calculations as you add them up, then reverting to the significant digit level when it's time to present your results.

After all that, though, I lop 'em off entirely when it's time to go to the draft and I generate instead a range of maximum and minimum bids for guys. (i.e. I'm not carrying around something like "Carlos Guillen = $12.86", but instead something along the lines of "Carlos Guillen's range for our inflated league = $13 - $19".)

In any case, as I said before, it only really matters to me during the preseason, but I do find it handy.
                          Last edited by Patioboater; 04-18-2006, 10:46 AM.
                          2021 Teams: Pandemic Petrels - 15-team mixed redraft (HQ Forum Masters); Patioboater's Puddle Ducks - 15-team, mixed, slow-draft-and-hold (HQ Slow Winter Draft); Regal Beagles - AL keeper (I-96 League), on hold for 2020.

3x Champion of the Forum Masters League, 2x Champion of the HQ Slow Draft League - Sic transit gloria mundi

Comment

Okay, that's fine...but why would it hurt you?

Why would it hurt you to have them on there? You can just ignore them. I really didn't think I would get that many negative responses to my request. If something can be done (with little effort from the staff) that will help someone with their projections and NOT hurt others, what is the problem? I don't see one, and I don't see why people feel the need to speak out against my request.

Comment

Free the Cents!

Originally posted by willellis
                              Why would it hurt you to have them on there? You can just ignore them. I really didn't think I would get that many negative responses to my request. If something can be done (with little effort from the staff) that will help someone with their projections and NOT hurt others, what is the problem? I don't see one, and I don't see why people feel the need to speak out against my request.
                              I meant my response to be one in favor of your request, but to note that it wasn't an urgent matter for me personally. In general, I agree that those who don't value the cents should just ignore them. I think we just got ourselves a little sidetracked afterwards into a discussion as to their actual value for some of us in our auctions and whether we feel they constitute meaningful significant digits. But I didn't mean it at all to be opposition to restoring the cents, nor do I think anybody really opposes their restoration.

In any case, it sounds from Matt's response as if it might not be too tricky a restoration, so I'd be surprised if we don't see them back soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X