Gabe Speier (SEA MR) -$45 projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabe Speier (SEA MR) -$45 projection

He's not a key asset in any league but in an AL-only with holds we have to dig deep. His current projection calls for -$45 over the balance of the season. He's yet to post a positive value for a full season but he's not THAT bad, is he??

With a projection of 11.36 ERA and 2.05 WHIP across 42 IP, yes, that $-45 seems a good valuation.

Or are you questioning the underlying projection? It seems to my eye that it's putting an awful lot of weight on his performance in May. (April: 11 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 25% H%, 100% S%; May: 5 IP, 11.57 ERA, 1.71 WHIP, 46% H%, 25% S.) His K% and K%-BB% are both pretty good, and his BPV in May is even better than it was in April. If he pitches closer to his YTD averages than his May averages, he's still above replacement value.

Also, realistically, it's hard to imagine that a contending team would actually let a reliever accumulate 42 IP while allowing that many baserunners and runs.

Comment

For some reason, his baseline pre-season projection was for an ERA over 12. That's the problem here. I'll clean that up to something more reasonable this week.

Comment

Originally posted by JonE View Post
        Also, realistically, it's hard to imagine that a contending team would actually let a reliever accumulate 42 IP while allowing that many baserunners and runs.
        That was my thought, anyone that bad isn't going to get the PT to make it to negative 45. With Ray's adjustment I'm curious where he ends up, admitting that even in a holds league I should probably be looking for a replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X