Depth Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Charts

Ray - With free agent signings and trades happening fast, i would expect your depth charts to be updated at least daily. Rodo and Kershaw signed yesterday and they are not reflected in the depth charts for SF or KA OR in the playing time. In addition the other pitchers/players it reflected are not updated either. I rely on your PT and depth charts. Can we be assured that these will update daily as drafts and changes to roster approach quickly?

thank you

Yes, we're updating daily. Couple of things to keep in mind, though:

- our guys aren't in front of the computer 24/7. They'll generally make updates in the evenings, but not universally.
    - daily projections updates happen in the early mornings.
    - in the offseason, we generally wait for transactions to become official before moving a guy. That might mean waiting a couple of days on a physical, etc before the signing is announced as official. We aren't moving guys based on the first Passan tweet.
    - for regenerating projections to account for park factor changes, I'll generally be doing that every couple of days, not necessarily daily.

Comment

Ray - thank you. Another question for you. When would you expect that PT would equal close to 100% for each position including saves and holds? If our draft day is April 2nd, in 3 weeks, would you expect a few days before that to be able to have PT equal close to 100% where applicable. Thank you.
      Last edited by Snider; 03-12-2022, 05:34 PM. Reason: Please don’t think I’m expecting 100% today - only as we get closer to the start of the season.

Comment

Ray - please don’t think I’m expecting close to 100% today. I’m just hoping as we get close to the start of the season - you will get close to that allocation.

Comment

We'll be whittling down to 100% throughout the month... in some places more quickly than others, depending on clarity of job battles, etc. Our charge to our team analysts who make those calls is that we expect them to be at exactly 100% per position on the morning of Opening Day. Many will get there sooner, or be at 105-110% at most positions, whereas today it's not hard to find positions where we're at 140% or more. (Periodic reminder: we explain our process for all of this on the Stats & Projections home page.)

Comment

Also, I notice that some positions aren't fully projected yet. There are only 25% ABs allotted for ATL 1B, 40% for OAK 2B, etc. It's completely understandable at this point; that's just a warning as a public service. We are all in this boat together.

Comment

Yeah, we're changing a ton on the fly here, thanks for bearing with us. Trying to use logic as we can, ie if Freeman doesn't return to ATL, it stands to reason that his replacement isn't there yet either.

Comment

Originally posted by JonE View Post
                Also, I notice that some positions aren't fully projected yet. There are only 25% ABs allotted for ATL 1B, 40% for OAK 2B, etc. It's completely understandable at this point; that's just a warning as a public service. We are all in this boat together.
                And, Atlanta is now projected for 100% at first base.
                "What we need in the United Stated is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence and lawlessness but is love, and wisdom and compassion toward one another and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or whether they be black." -- Robert F. Kennedy, April 4, 1968, from a flatbed truck in Indianapolis, as he informed the crowd of the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, I mostly wanted to point out that the analysts weren't necessarily saying, e.g., "well, we know that someone has to play 1B, I guess I'll ramp up Arcia and Tromp because I don't have any better ideas." Overprojecting is typical at this point; underprojecting is atypical, but totally understandable in 2022.

Comment

Maybe I'll post periodic updates here... thanks to the relatively light day yesterday, we were able to get level on all player movement today. I just posted revised projections that are all caught up, except for the latest flurry of moves this AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
                      Maybe I'll post periodic updates here... thanks to the relatively light day yesterday, we were able to get level on all player movement today. I just posted revised projections that are all caught up, except for the latest flurry of moves this AM.
                      When do you plan to give poor Kenley Jansen some saves?
                      The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Comment

Originally posted by mexipat View Post

When do you plan to give poor Kenley Jansen some saves?
                        When he signs. Think I answered this somewhere else. But since we allocate Sv as a % of a team total, since he's not on a team, he gets a % of 0 saves. That will resolve once he gets dropped onto a team.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post

When he signs. Think I answered this somewhere else. But since we allocate Sv as a % of a team total, since he's not on a team, he gets a % of 0 saves. That will resolve once he gets dropped onto a team.
                          Considering that these projections go into Rotolab and we use them to draft wouldn't it be better to project saves for him knowing he'll likely be a closer?
                          The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Comment

You can manually override him in Rotolab. I can't get Saves on him here on our site unless I put him on an MLB team.

Comment

So the site will let you project every other category for free agents except saves? Aren't Wins also calculated as a percentage of the team total ? He is projected for 4 wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X