CDG - Top Players Valuation Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDG - Top Players Valuation Method

I've been running CDG with Top Players valuation method for many years and my league almost always had the best pitchers near $40 and a hitter or 3 in the $50s. This year I can't get any hitters to be over $45 and pitchers barely hit $30. I've loaded the same settings I've had for years.

Anybody else notice this or is there just a lot more parity of top players that brings the values down for 2022? Any changes to the valuation methods algorithms?

Running valuation method of balanced brings the top players down more to the mean as expected.
    Home league: 11 team mixed 6X6 (with OPS and holds) 19th year, 2016: 4th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 9th, 2019: 1st, 2020: 3rd, 2021: 2nd, 2022: 5th, 2023: 8th.

What are your settings, specifically number of teams/positive value players?

No changes to the algorithms. We probably are being more conservative with playing time, which would hurt the top end/full-time guys.

Post your settings, as I would be interested in taking a look.

Comment

Hoping the attachment worked to show my settings. I also just ran it with keepers included (from going into last year) hoping to see the usual values and had top pitcher of Cole only at $32, but did have one hitter now in the $50s. I guess maybe this is working as it always has, but just seemed like nobody on the high end really stuck out pre-keeper/inflation. Maybe I'm just used to Trout being so far above everybody else...
      Attached Files
      Home league: 11 team mixed 6X6 (with OPS and holds) 19th year, 2016: 4th, 2017: 3rd, 2018: 9th, 2019: 1st, 2020: 3rd, 2021: 2nd, 2022: 5th, 2023: 8th.

Comment

The $ values and projections will change as we get closer to Opening Day. This is because playing time estimates will change. In 99% of the cases, this is not because of a change in projected skills, but because of injury or roster adjustments. For example, right now the BHQ playing time estimates for the NYM 3B position add up to 205%! This will be reduced to 100% by the time the season begins. The higher volume of stats overall reduces the value of certain players. If the current inflated overall projections show 200,000 AB and 7,000 HR, the 35 HR projected for Alonso are worth less than they will be when the total AB projected are reduced to 160,000 and total projected HR projected are 5,000. Does that make sense?
        Analyst

Comment

Yep, that makes sense.

Comment

First thing: change number of bench players to 0. That causes a lot of problems... the way that field works is that it allocates dollar values to your bench players (8 per team), which is taking those dollars away from the top of your player pool. That should help noticeably.

Beyond that, Lion's point above is also an extremely valid one.

Comment

in my 11-team NL-only 5x5, "Top Player" today got TTurner to $53.

interesting to me, as I traded a TTurner 44-S2 in May to a contender (and eventual title winner) mainly for Chisholm 5-S2 - who in this format is projected at $29.

other team could get TTurner 44-S1 and 44-O and out.
              I would get Chisholm 5-S1, 10-L2, and 15-L1 and out.

nobody lost in that trade....
              NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
              our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
              a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

I haven't used the "top players" option. I'm definitely going to explore that in the upcoming season as it may help in my AL-only where the stars do go for high $$. (I did win this league last year; of course, it helped that I had Ohtani at a very good price in this daily moves league.)

Comment

Working...
                X