Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best settings for Custom Draft Guide

Hello all,
    I'm new to the website and forum. Really like what I've been reading thus far. I've been playing around with the custom draft guide and was wondering what you all feel are the best input settings.
    My league is a standard snake draft, 10 team, 6X6 head to head roto league. Hitting categories include HR, R, RBI, AVG, OBP, and SB. Pitching categories include SO, K/BB, WHIP, ERA, W, and SV. Positions include C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, 3SP, 2RP, 5P, and 4 bench spots.

My goal with the draft guide is to use the grid output to divide the players into tiers and draft based on this. I want to know which positions are rich in talent vs those that are more scarce. I've realized that how I change the input values changes the tiers and values.

My league tends to draft hitters in the early rounds with the exception of elite SP. So I've kept the hitting budget at 65%. I've kept the number of bench players at 0. Set number of pitchers at 10. I set the stat categories as roto and assigned a 1 value to each category my league uses.
    What should I do as far as player valuation method? Scarce, middle, balanced, or top players?
    And since there is no IF position available, only MI and CI, should I just check CI and MI?

Any advice would greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

Looks like you probably are entering 4 OF and then knowing that you'll have to pay attention to the more specific LF / CF / RF positions when you draft.

I'd enter 0.5 MI and 0.5 CI to account for your extra infielder. That's not quite right -- you want the best batters for the extra infielder instead of forcing half to be MI and half to be CI -- but it's close.

I'd check the force positions option, although not everyone agrees with that.
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

It's usually best to begin with the defaults and then tweak the settings if the results give you something that looks sharply different from what you are used to seeing. So start with balanced valuation and see what happens. Are you in a mixed league or an only league? That could make a big difference.

In the same way, you should play around with the offensive budget setting and see whether setting it to 68% or 70% gives you values that are more consistent with your league's tendencies.

I think you should address your OF/IF issue by asking Ray to add IF as a positional option, and then he will ask the tech team to put it on their list of upgrades. In the meantime, try the workaround of setting the number of OF to 3 and the number of UT to 2. You are likely to get a pretty even mix of IF and OF from the UT slots.

I also encourage you to set bench spots to 4. That will help ensure that enough players get positive values.

And welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by JonE View Post
        I also encourage you to set bench spots to 4. That will help ensure that enough players get positive values.

And welcome!
        If you don't spend auction dollars on bench players, you'll want to not enter the bench players into CDG.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by Michael@HQ View Post
          If you don't spend auction dollars on bench players, you'll want to not enter the bench players into CDG.
          This never seemed clear to me- thanks!
          mixed keeper auction 16 teams high stakes $ long running with consistent ownership - *16 teams this year 2019*!
          5x5 (obp instead of avg) and 24 active players,10 pitchers.
          8 reserve slots ($3, snake draft). 3 minors slots. 260 budget. 100 faab budget weekly.
          8 roster keepers - max 3 years @ +$3 1st year kept, +$4 2nd year, +$7 third year.
          3 Minors keepers +$1/year

Comment

Thank you all the advice. Much appreciated. How do I get in touch with Ray to ask about adding the IF position?

Comment

Originally posted by RedsFan97 View Post
              Thank you all the advice. Much appreciated. How do I get in touch with Ray to ask about adding the IF position?
              You just did. Someone else actually asked about this earlier in the week. One of your leaguemates, perhaps.

Comment

Ray,

How do I handle valuing DH? Out league uses both DH & UT.

Thanks
                Rbbl

Comment

Can't value DH explicitly. Putting in 2 UT should cover it. Differences will only be on the margins.

Comment

Count me in for an IF slot, and also separate Outfield slots.
                    14 team h2h keeper league, 10x10, weekly lineups
                    30 man rosters plus 2 DL
                    R, H, 2b, 3b, HR, RBI, AVG, OBP, OPS, NSB, W, Shutouts, Saves, Ks, GIDPs, Holds, ERA, Whip, K/bb, QS

Comment

Working...
                    X