Pitching Matchup Tool Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bolton wanderers View Post
    FWIW I just found the ESPN site using the criteria belowhttp://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/page/FLBForecaster160902/fantasy-baseball-forecaster-sept-5-11

Projected starting pitchers, Sept. 5-11
    P: The starting pitcher's projected Bill James game score, accounting for past history (three years' worth as well as past 21 days), opponent and ballpark. A 50 is typically deemed a "quality start" by this measure, while a 70 is considered a dominant start.

The distribution was:

1 7x
    21 6x
    113 5x
    59 4x

So 1 dominant starts (Scherzer), 134 quality starts and 59 that are neither. I assume quality start isn't 6 or + IP, <= 3 ER.

It seems the definition of strong start and dominant start are just too stringent for fantasy purposes to/for me. It seems 10 years ago a half of the starting pitchers choices (yes, it was generally 12 or 15 T ML) were easy "must starts" and only that last slot was a toss up.

Not sure what I am asking here, other than it seems the "must start" pitchers don't seem to be being picked by score alone (and I guess where the Daily matchup article is helpful for context). Thanks for letting me rant : )
    FWIW - this formula was reworked about a month into the season. The 50/70 guidelines should probably be updated to 53/65. I use these for my ESPN Daily Notes and the convention is 60+ is ace tier, 53-59 is solid tier (almost always safe to start in traditional fantasy leagues), 46-52 is the streaming tier while <46 is break glass in case of emergency.

As you might imagine, it's extremely tough to find a one-size-fits-all type ranking to cover roto, points and DFS, especially when you can break roto into chasing wins/Ks or supporting ratios.

OTOH -- if you could, they wouldn't need me to write the supporting analysis

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Todd Zola View Post
      FWIW - this formula was reworked about a month into the season. The 50/70 guidelines should probably be updated to 53/65. I use these for my ESPN Daily Notes and the convention is 60+ is ace tier, 53-59 is solid tier (almost always safe to start in traditional fantasy leagues), 46-52 is the streaming tier while <46 is break glass in case of emergency.

As you might imagine, it's extremely tough to find a one-size-fits-all type ranking to cover roto, points and DFS, especially when you can break roto into chasing wins/Ks or supporting ratios.

OTOH -- if you could, they wouldn't need me to write the supporting analysis
      Thanks Todd. Having those intermediate category values certainly helps. - reviewed your outlook for today and am starting Brito over Headley. I read that you tweaked Kershaw's game score but I assume not the NYY LH, RH hitting scores (1 for both). Thanks for the additional reference point! (not trying to highjack a BBHQ thread into a ESPN one)
      Last edited by bolton wanderers; 09-14-2016, 04:45 AM. Reason: added the info on today's game

Comment

Working...
      X