Request--Captions for Photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request--Captions for Photos?

This has been very (very!) mildly irksome for a while now--you routinely post photos without indication of whom I am looking. There is a nice example on today's call up page--the photo is wonderful. But is it of Coleman? Or is it just window dressing, chosen because it is a great photo, but otherwise unrelated to the content of the column?

No need to answer this--I am not really making a complaint here, but rather a suggestion--hopefully a constructive one.
    AL 5x5 10 Team

The pics are never just random, they always relate to the column. We don't have an easy mechanism right now to add a caption. But the pic is usually related to the first person discussed in the column.... that's Kole Calhoun today.

Comment

Ray--

Just a thought, and likely worth what you paid for it. You can embed the caption in the first line of the first write up, eg. "Kole Calhoun--pictured above-- . . ." That is not perfect, but an improvement on what you have now.

Thanks . . .

Kevin
      AL 5x5 10 Team

Comment

An aside--whomever is doing your photos is really quite good. The Calhoun pic is terrific--but so are most of the ones that accompany the articles. For me, anyway, the photography enhances the site considerably. I think it s easy to forget, when we are just looking at stats and spread sheets, that this is a flesh and blood game. The pics remind me, at least, of why baseball is such a fine sport.
        AL 5x5 10 Team

Comment

Originally posted by kehardwick View Post
          Ray--

Just a thought, and likely worth what you paid for it. You can embed the caption in the first line of the first write up, eg. "Kole Calhoun--pictured above-- . . ." That is not perfect, but an improvement on what you have now.

Thanks . . .

Kevin
          That's reasonable... will pass that along. Thanks!

And the pics are from USAToday Sports Images. They do a great job, and having access to them is one of the benefits of our corporate ownership.

Comment

Yeah. It is always a good thing to give credit, when someone does really good work. That is another reason to add a caption. But you can't do that in an embed--it would take too much space.
            AL 5x5 10 Team

Comment

Thanks -- I've thought about this in the past, and yes, probably the best short-term fix we could do is work it into the article somehow. I think it's probably most pertinent for the various minors coverage, but also happens from time to time on the MLB side.

I'll look to incorporate that going forward.

Also, I agree that the artwork we have to choose from is first-rate. There's even been times when I've gone to select an image for the PTT that covers a player's injury, and they've had a shot of it from that day or evening's games. Adds a nice touch.

Thanks again.

Comment

Brent--

Congrats on the promotion to management--that likely happened a while ago, but I somehow missed it. I regret much that we never had a chance to grab a beer, before you left H'burg.

All best,
                Kevin
                AL 5x5 10 Team

Comment

Working...
                X