Website Sloppiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Sloppiness

This is my first year as a subscriber, and while I do love the amount of information, i've found the quality the last few weeks to be very lacking.

There are spelling mistakes within the articles daily (a minor thing, but when you are paying as much for a subscription as we are, a simple spell check and a bit of pride in work should be a given). There are also plenty of slip ups like this one this morning:

"Philadelphia Eagles RP Mike Adams (biceps) was unavailable to pitch Friday, June 7"

That is a direct copy - Philadelphia Eagles.

Two other minor complaints - I find the information lately is far out of date. The article mentioning that Carrasco was called up came after he had already made one start. This happens frequently. In some of my very deep leagues, I rely on BaseballHQ to be my source so that I get the jump on players, but that isn't happening at all lately.

I've also seen many instances where information by 2 different writers in 2 different articles about the same player contradicts itself. For example, in the past couple of weeks I read articles talking about picking up Rick Porcello based on his skills as a nice buy-low, yet I read in another article within a day or 2 saying something along the lines of Porcello being only slightly less terrible lately but still not worth a pickup.

Sorry to come off as only complaining - I do love the site and read every article daily, but i've just found the quality of articles to be lacking lately. It seems that the articles are being rushed, even though they are coming out later and later compared to when they used to come out about midnight eastern every night. The things I pointed out above would be griped about but fully understandable from a free service like ESPN, but for a service we pay (a ton) of money for, I guess I just expect a bit more.

Thanks guys!

The Eagles thing was awfully silly, to be sure. I've corrected it in the article. Honestly, my eyes glazed right over it, I couldn't figure out why the commenters were making football jokes this morning... at least til I saw your post. Obviously we should have caught that earlier as well as any spelling mistakes, etc.

As far as analytical disagreements like Porcello... as I often say when these sorts of things happen, BaseballHQ isn't a cyber-borg with a single collective mind. Our writers will sometimes disagree, and we don't actually discourage that. But as a subscriber, you see all the same data we do, so you're welcome to interpret the data yourself and decide who you agree with. (Personally, I'm on the Porcello bandwagon.)

Oh, and one note about articles "coming out later than they used to"... I think we've been using a standard 3am ET publish time for some time now. We've actually changed to releasing the daily matchup column earlier (around 10pm the previous evening) to try and help subscribers who have midnight roster deadlines. And on Sundays, we'll occasionally hold the two-start SP column until mid-morning to try and get the matchups nailed down as best we can. But overall, there haven't been any wholesale changes in this regard.

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully we can get back to meeting your expectations going forward.

Comment

I think the "Daily Matchups" page could be better prepared, as well. Lots of non-fanalytic stuff mentioned there. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
        as I often say when these sorts of things happen, BaseballHQ isn't a cyber-borg with a single collective mind. Our writers will sometimes disagree, and we don't actually discourage that
        IMO this doesn't happen enough, or at least it doesn't happen enough with regards to adding the authors own thoughts into the article. This isn't really a BHQ specific thing either, company men being company men, but I like it when the author throws out his/her opinion then goes on to point to some other tidbit of information that may normally be overlooked. It isn't necessarily disagreeing or agreeing but rather adding depth to the same old "skills" that are usually at the heart of each article. If this leads to some contradictory then so be it but looking from outside the box helps expand our perception, after all in the end the reader is left to agree or disagree.

oh and mark ellis OWNS wade miley...
        H2H PTS: (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,U,5SP,2RP)
        • 16 Team: It's all about the draft picks!

ROTO:
        • 12 Team Mixed 5x5 - I seem to enjoying finishing outside the money...

Comment

Working...
        X