Newbie asking basic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie asking basic question

I am in a 18 team, 5x5 league. If I were to rank batters and then rank pitchers using only one of the many batting and pitching statistics, i.e. BPV or Dom which of each would you suggest. Also while I see there are articles I was wondering if you have draft strategy you might suggest, i.e. draft 3rd base high or complete your infield prior to getting to relief pitchers.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

I'd use the Custom Draft Guide for your parameters, instead of ranking players by just one statistic.

Welcome to the forums!

Keep in mind when you use the Custom Draft Guide:
    - Our BaseballHQ estimates of playing time still are optimistic (adding up to > 100% for some positions), so expect that role and platoon players will see their playing time estimates cut as spring training developments progress.
    - If it is a keeper league, you have to factor in estimated inflation before making keeper decisions.
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

And once you have your Custom Draft Guide list of players, you have a choice of having it sorted by dollar values or by Mayberry scores. Sorting by dollar values is fine for that takes into account your 5x5 category scoring precisely the way you need to know for your draft.
      MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Mayberry works great if you take the time to do your homework

Comment

This got me thinking...Has anyone ever experimented with multiplying MM scores by dollar value to get combined score that would leverage the two?
          CBS 14-team H2H Category, Daily transactions, 2-8 Keepers with Luxury Tax implications + 2 Free Minor League Prospects
          Hitting Cats (9): R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, BB, SO, XBH, SLG
          Pitching Cats (9): IP, W, L, Sv, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HRA
          Luxury tax structure (ie league fee):
          2-3 keepers = $75
          4 keepers = $80
          5 keepers = $90
          6 keepers = $105
          7 keepers = $125
          8 keepers = $150

Comment

Originally posted by ace22 View Post
            This got me thinking...Has anyone ever experimented with multiplying MM scores by dollar value to get combined score that would leverage the two?
            I tried that, but didn't yield anything that was too useful.

Honestly, the best approach I've taken is this:

1. Get your Custom Draft Guide projected list sorted by dollar value for your scoring system. I play in points leagues, so I use points as my sort mechanism, but you get the idea: sort it the way that makes sense for your league.

2. Go through the player list (or sort them into positions, and then do this for each position list, as you prefer) and note where the dollar (or point) differences show a drop off in value, and insert a blank line there.

3. Now within each subgroup between blank lines, sort just that subgroup by your metric of choice: MM perhaps, or BPV, or whatever. In my points leagues, I calculate points per AB (or IP) based on the projections. Then I sort my subgroup by Points/AB.

You now have tiers of talent, with the big names obviously in the top group, but within each tier you have sorted to the top those players with the highest skill. Toward the bottom of each subgroup will be the guys who get the playing time, but don't do as much with it. Toward the top of each subgroup will be the guys who get the playing time and do something good with it, or even those who don't get as much playing time, but when they do they do great.

Now you draft with this list. At the start you are targeting the best players. But as names come off the board and your top subgroup starts to shrink, as you reach the bottom of that subgroup you might want to instead skip to the next subgroup and get the best guy from that subgroup instead. It would be like taking the more talented $23 player instead of the less talented $25 player. Go for the skill guys most, but do so within overall $ tiers so that you are not spending the early part of your draft chasing youngsters with talent but who only will get 100 ABs this year.
            MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Can the player $value from the CDG be used to compare players within the position to compute a value based on least starter - - for example top 2b $value minus 10th 2b $value in a 10 team (NO CI or MI), compute for all players in their respective positions and then compare highest $values between positions to identify best draft option? Or does the $value consider that (without choosing positional scarcity)??

Comment

There is a 'force positions' option you can check using the Custom Draft Guide that will force the lowest price player to be drafted at scarce positions to be worth $1.
                "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I find it useful to generate my CDG reports for import to Excel, which offers so many more sorting and analysis tools.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
                  X