CDG Positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDG Positions

I know I've found the answer to this before, so apologies for asking it again, but my brain needs to do some mental "sprint drills" to get it back to anything like fitness...

Until that happens, I have a question regarding position codes.

Downloading a CDG report gives players' positions in "field form" (eg 2 = C, 3 = 1B, 4 = 2B etc).

Firstly, why is this, when the Forecaster uses the position abbreviation form (eg 3B, SS etc)?

And what is "o", does it stand for Outfield?

Secondly, how is it that some positions don't match?
    For example Ryan Braun's primary position (pp) is 7 and his qualifying positions (qp) are 7 and o.
    Bryce Harper's pp is 7 but his qp are o, 8 and 9. Not 7 at all!

Josh Rutledge is given a pp of 4 with a qp of 6, Troy Tulowitzki has a pp of 6 and a qf of 6.
    Surely Rutledge should have a qp of 4 and 6; or just 4?

Is it to ensure that all players have a qualify position even if they only play one position in reality?

Cheers!

As for the "why".... the positions are stored in our database as numbers, that's why they display that way. The Forecaster template is based in Excel, so I think it just does a lookup to translate those numerics to positions.

Yes, 'o' is generic OF... it's there to catch the few guys a year who reach 20 total OF games without getting 20 in any of LF/CF/RF individually.

Qualifying positions are based on 20 games played at the position last season. Use that field strictly for eligibility.

Primary position is generally where we expect him to play the most in 2013. This is primarily used to reflect positions correctly on our depth charts.

Hope this helps...

Comment

It certainly does, thanks Ray.

As it happens it didn't take me very long to Find & Replace the positions anyway so I don't know why I was making such a fuss!

Comment

Working...
      X