New breed of comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New breed of comments?

It appears to me subcribers are more prone in leaving "snarky like" comments to articles this year. For ex--today's "Fanalytics: Dealing " on the home page.

So it was on another site, or one heard it on the Master Works segment on this week's Baseball HQ Radio....as soon as you began to read it you had to notice that, so just click out...a few seconds wasted. A snarky comment is ok when warrented, I just think folks are sometimes jumping too soon.

I still find the new format a little confusing at times, and think that things were layed out clearer under the old format. A suggestion: speed up the slide show of the main articles on the home page by a half. I am learning to find the quickest way to what I want, things are more colorfull ( !!!), but above all.... the info is still first rate. Thanks

"To be a saint you need three miracles, but two of them can be card tricks."---Father Quido Sarducci

I've seen posts made subject to delayed moderation on certain forums.

Is this really necessary?

Where no incidents have occurred, it only alienates your readership and discourages further posting at large. This is not the type of "upgrade" any of us anticipated when the new site was announced.

Please advise.
    RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by JVR View Post
      I've seen posts made subject to delayed moderation on certain forums.

Is this really necessary?

Where no incidents have occurred, it only alienates your readership and discourages further posting at large. This is not the type of "upgrade" any of us anticipated when the new site was announced.

Please advise.
      Where? I'm not aware of this. If it's happening, it's unintentional. Please provide examples and I'll get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
        Where? I'm not aware of this. If it's happening, it's unintentional. Please provide examples and I'll get it fixed.
        Yesterday, I posted on the Reds Forum. My first two posts got in. I erased the second. I posted a third comment on the same Forum, but it never appeared. Instead, there was a generic message that said it would not be posted or it would be delayed, until a moderator had reviewed it.

I thought the delayed moderation message/function could only be activated intentionally.
        RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Well, if it was intentionally activated, it wasn't by me. Our tech guys did some forum work over the weekend, maybe some switches got flipped. I'll have them check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Daley View Post
            It appears to me subcribers are more prone in leaving "snarky like" comments to articles this year. For ex--today's "Fanalytics: Dealing " on the home page.
            A sad reflection of the generally more snarky tone in all public discourse.
            ...Master Works segment on this week's Baseball HQ Radio
            Master Notes, actually, but again your point is excellent. If you heard/read something someplace else, then skip it and read something new.
            A suggestion: speed up the slide show of the main articles on the home page by a half.
            You can speed it up yourself by clicking on the little white dots below the text blurb.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

I've been shocked by the rudeness of these comments, having been spoiled by the high tone in these forums. There have been several that ignore the long research of the article to just say "you missed ..."

It's like attending a lecture given by a professor and when the hour long talk is done a guy in the front row says "your tie is crooked."
              MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

The forums are updated, interactive, and self-regulating. The comments to the articles are not. You have to intentionally go back to an article, for which there is no cue to a title or an ongoing discussion (such as there is in the forums), to interact and self regulate. I have said before I dont like that format, so I dont read the comments in the articles, since it is way shallower of a disucssion. I prefer the forums, and believe it is the forums, that contain the high value discussion, where snarkiness does occur on rare occasions, but in forum format it is called out, discussed, and dealt with. I personally dont care for the article discussion within the article, dont find it helpful, so I ignore it, and its snarkiness which in my opinion is related to the format that invites comments without a full discussion as occurs on the forums. I am not seeing the added value to that new option for comment and discussion, but that is my personal taste. I much prefer the forum format for discussing and debating points raised in articles.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
                  Well, if it was intentionally activated, it wasn't by me. Our tech guys did some forum work over the weekend, maybe some switches got flipped. I'll have them check it out.
                  I can't and am not accusing anyone, by all means. It's just that the delayed moderation function had not been active for my first two posts on the Reds forum yesterday.

By the time I posted the third, it came up. And my post never made it to the Reds forum as a result.

Hence my assumption that it must have been activated, maybe unintentionally or it might have been a glitch.

If it was intentional, it sure leaves a sour taste. From your reply, it would appear not.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly valued. I certainly don't want to be subjected to excess moderation -- I'm not a problem poster as far as I know.
                  RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

We definitely don't intend to be changing anything related to moderation. We don't want to stifle discussion or increase moderator overhead. I've got our tech guys checking this out, will let you know if we find anything. If it happens again, do let me know.

Comment

Thanks very much Ray.
                      RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by NICK@HQ View Post
                        I've been shocked by the rudeness of these comments, having been spoiled by the high tone in these forums. There have been several that ignore the long research of the article to just say "you missed ..."

It's like attending a lecture given by a professor and when the hour long talk is done a guy in the front row says "your tie is crooked."
                        it kinda pisses me off quite frankly.
                        Thank you BHQ =D

Comment

OK, so we think the problem here was not active moderation, but increased spam controls after a recent software upgrade. JVR, in your case were you making a post that included a url, graphics, or anything else embedded? This also happened to circle360, and that was the case for him. The other possibility is that you posted twice in very quick succession, there is a check against "flooding" the forums with auto-posts (again, a spam defense mechanism).

Keep an eye out and let me know if this happens again.

Comment

Working...
                          X