Relievers - Handcuffs versus Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relievers - Handcuffs versus Skills

I'm in a 12-team, 5x5 mixed keeper-league and my question is around drafting a reliever's handcuff versus a highly-skilled player on another team.

For example, I have Jason Motte as a keeper, should I target his handcuff (assumes its Salas) or target a highly skilled reliever, like Sergio Romo?

Lots of questions to be answered here, including:

- how big is your bench?
    - how many closers have you rostered?
    - are you talking about targeting at the draft table, as a keeper, in a trade?
    - what are the rules for player movement in your league in-season? Are new closers regularly available as free agents?

Comment

Thanks for writing back. Do your questions:

- how big is your bench? (active: 13 hitters, 9 pitchers (3 SP, 3 RP, and 3 P), benches: 6 reserve spots)
      - how many closers have you rostered? I have Motte, Madson, and Kimbrel all keepers in Rounds 20 or later. Thank you HQ!)
      - are you talking about targeting at the draft table, as a keeper, in a trade? I am talking about targeting at the draft table. Its a snake draft, most other managers don't target setup guys/handcuffs until the late rounds.
      - what are the rules for player movement in your league in-season? Are new closers regularly available as free agents? We have a $100 FAAB budget, weekly moves, max 20 moves per season.

Comment

OK, then in your case it seems like you're well-positioned for saves. Clearly you can't chew up three bench spots to handcuff all of your closers. So the question becomes, what happens in-season if Motte loses his job? Salas might be owned already... but it's not even 100% clear that he's the next in line. Could be a Sanchez if he's pitching well when Motte vacates the role. As such, I'd probably target the best skills and not worry as much about handcuffing. But that's somewhat situational. Handcuffing makes more sense if you have shakier closers in deeper leagues.

Comment

Well taken, thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
          X