Sabermetrics Legend and Explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabermetrics Legend and Explanation

I've played for 12 year but never used Sabermetrics so I need some help from the site. Where can I get this information on Baseball HQ. I would like a legend.

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but I'd suggest that you read the Forecaster's Toolbox (note additional links are at the top of that page). It'll let you know about the concepts that we use for projections. The main thing is to examine player's skills, not just their surface performance statistics.
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Also, welcome to the forums!

Comment

One legend I like is the one where Babe Ruth called his shot at Wrigley Field. Or is that a myth?
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Since Michael didn't do it I will, buy a copy of the Baseball Forecaster. Even an old copy with give you a good primer on the stats and how to use them. A 2012 copy will of course include player evaluations to help you this season. MUCH if not all of the same information is on the site but some of it is a little complex and a good 'ol fashion book is easier to digest.

Comment

Welcome!

While not totally new to the ideas/concepts, I'm new to BHQ and the Forecaster. I didn't do anything in any particular order. What I've done is read the Forecaster (taking notes), the articles on the site, the forums, and listened to the podcasts (over and over). Doing this has allowed me to not only beat the concepts into my mind, but I've also picked up on things I missed the first time around in the book, article, podcast, etc.

Comment

The 2012 Baseball Forecaster has a huge section on forecasting concepts. I think it may be overwhelming for those new to BaseballHQ though. The toolbox on the website is a good deal slimmer.

Comment

Working...
              X