Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed from BBHQ's playing time gurus (projections)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed from BBHQ's playing time gurus (projections)

If 340 Plate Appearances = 50% playing time for batters, what's the IP equivalency for both starting pitchers and relief pitchers? 109 and 36? In other words, what should we gauge as a half-time pitcher from the SP and RP pools via the projections?

I hate to be one of those guys who bumps their own threads, but it never hurts to ask again (see the OP).

All wisdom is appreciated, gentlemen.

Comment

If you look at how playing time is allocated any a typical team page, you'll see that no pitcher is allocated 50% of innings, so the question might be hard to answer.
      "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

CW, I think the PT percentages for pitchers and hitters on HQ mean different things. I believe a hitters PT% is the % of total PAs of one batting slot that the hitter will get. So if HQ has fulltime PAs =680 (which would be right for a batter who hits in the #6 slot), a player with 75%PT would be projected for 510PAs. But the PT %s for pitchers must mean the percent of all their team's innings (including relief innings) that the pitcher will throw.

So, Halladay is projected for 16%PT and 232IP. 232 is 16% of 1450. Felix is at 16.5%. 16.5% of 1450 is 239, which is what HQ is projecting him for (and which is too high for a pitcher to ever be projected at, but...). So it looks like HQ has a team's total innings at 1450. That makes sense 162 games * 9 innings= 1458. About half of an away teams games on average will only last 8 innings for pitchers, but I guess extra innings makes up for that to bring the # up to about 1450. Make sense?
        some of my music here

Comment

JDW's breakdown is correct.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. This helps.

Comment

Working...
            X