PQS Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PQS Files

Does anyone know how to write Excel formulas that can dynamically pick up a particular pitcher's stats using the PQS files? I cannot figure out how to adjust the formulas to only pick up each pitcher without hard coding it. I thought someone might know better! Thank you.
    Commodore

Commodore, what exactly are you trying to do? If you have list of pitchers and want to pull in certain data from the files, you can use VLOOKUP. Patrick Davitt explained how to use it here: http://www.baseballhq.com/members/ne...ra050325.shtml

If you run into trouble, or are trying to do something different, I can probably help.
    "Never make predictions, especially about the future." -- Casey Stengel

Comment

MattC - Thanks. Pretty experienced user here; know the lookup functions but probably not expert myself. Ideally, I would to take the PQS file and build a single line item for each pitcher but of course the first pitcher has 33 records (i.e. starts), the next 16, etc. So building averages, mins, max, deviations, etc. off of a single pitcher's records means knowing where each array of records begins and ends. This is what I am struggling with...hope I've explained this well. Appreciate the help.
      Commodore

Comment

You might be able to use SUMIF, AVERAGEIF and other such functions. I haven't doinked around with PQS sheets for a while, but you might have to copy down each pitcher's name so that it is there in each row of his data.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Fortunately the pitcher's name does appear in each row (record) of the file. Sumif and the like work fine, I was just hoping not to need to manually construct each one. If I still had Access, I'd build a database but it's been years since I did anything like that and I no longer have access to Access or similar database tools.
          Commodore

Comment

Working...
          X