Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ Radio encoding and file size

Hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of HQ radio and haven't missed an episode in at least a few years. I recently got an iPhone and noticed that because the file size of the episodes is over 20 MB, the iPhone (and I'm assuming the iTouch also) will not download it unless it's connected to a computer or WiFi. One solution is if you encoded the podcast at a lower bitrate to keep the file size under 20 MB. Perhaps you could put up two versions? I don't think it would require a tremendous amount of work on your end, but I'm not an expert on these matters.

Have you heard from others on this matter?

In any case, keep it going, it's a great podcast.

Andy
    Andy K
    New York, NY

We encode at the higher bitrate to preserve the sound quality that sets HQR above our competitors. To get the files under 20MB would mean reducing the bitrate by well more than half, so unfortunately I don't think it's in the cards. We've never had this comment before, so I suspect most downloading users are indeed connecting to iTunes using their computer or WiFi.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Actually, I have the same issue with my new iPhone. I don't get into a lot of areas with good wifi so I tried to use 3g to download the podcasts and was rudely rebuffed!
      John

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means!"--Inigo Montoya, "The Princess Bride"

Comment

OK, that's two! Let's hear from you iPhone users out there! We're willing to suffer through lower bitrates in order to download the show!

By the way, Patrick, I really enjoyed the music segment at the end of the shows last year. I would vote for bringing that back (and yes, I understand the irony that the lower bitrate would affect the music even more!)
        Andy K
        New York, NY

Comment

I enjoy doing the musical "Coda" at the end of each show, but sometimes, especially lately, I just haven't had time to do the research. I'll try to get one out.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
          X