Is BHQ sufficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is BHQ sufficient?

I'm in a competetive 5x5 16 team mixed league and, for the most part, I think the stat projections, articles and other content from BHQ are second to none. Where I feel I'm at a disadvantage is getting current news and getting it fast. In my opinion, the playerlink database doesn't even touch the free news offering from Rotoworld. Other owners in my league have told me they get news emailed to them over their phone from pay sites. From there, a waive can be made over their phone in a matter of seconds. I will soon be purchasing one of these services or go the way of the dinosaur. A lot is made in these forums about "paying for the best" in regard to BHQ. I agree that you get a lot with BHQ, but it is far from comprehensive. In addition to more up to date news, I would also like to see closer coverage of position battles going into the season. It seemed like some player's projected stats never budged until after the season started (ie Dmitri Young, Coco Crisp). It was pretty much common knowledge at every other fantasy site that these guys weren't going to see regular time. I'm hopeful that some level of these services can be incorporated in the future as I'd like to stick to one site.

Fair points, vulcan. Just to be clear, we're pretty up front that we're absolutely not in the business right now of being a "breaking news" site. We have the Rotowire feed available to you here as a way of trying to keep you from having to jump all over the web for the latest breaking news. But we don't expect you to be able to jump to a guy's Playerlink page and see the frequency of updates that you see at a Rotoworld or Rotowire. When there's something to say about a guy's skills or role changing, we'll be there. But we're not going to say "he went 1-for-2 with a double last night" if there's nothing new to say beyond that.

There's a distinction between "trying to do something and failing" and "not trying". In this case, we're not trying.

Comment

I honestly never saw the rotowire feed option. Maybe this is problem solved if they can send emails to my phone. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, vulcan_a. Absolutely, you have to read RotoWorld.com or RotoWire.com in addition to BBHQ.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I use rotoworld for my news then jump back here to see how it may affect my team. For example, someone gets hurt , Rotoworld says who they think will replace him, I come back to hq, check the playerlink for that guy and any other possible replacement then either make my move on him or make a different move, based on skills not roles.

Comment

Originally posted by vulcan_a View Post
            I honestly never saw the rotowire feed option. Maybe this is problem solved if they can send emails to my phone. Thanks for your help.
            Can't do that directly thru HQ, you'll have to subscribe to Rotowire... which of course, is available at a nice discount if you order thru HQ. Use the link provided on the page I linked above. (Should have mentioned that last night.)

Comment

Originally posted by vulcan_a View Post

Vulcan a lil advice for you. Id sign up for rotopass or sign up for rotowire. In rotowire you can set up a watch list of players. I have all my diff teams in it. As soon as anything happens you get updated. You can check that out from your blackberry or whatever. I got an update today that Duscherer will miss his scheduled start because of his bicep strain. That site and tool combined with HQ is a pretty winning combination.

Comment

One subscriber (Nick?) clued me in to Google searches. You can set a google news search to email you (or presumably your phone) when it gets a hit for a player you might want. And FREE.

Do you *need* this kind of news or just want it? If you need it I'm guessing you must have some kind of first-come, first-serve claim system for your league? If so you may (or may not) want to consider a waivers system or deeper benches. We have both and it elimates the need to know news as it happens. Preferences can differ but we find it relaxing to just manage our teams and not have to chase the news all the time.
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls View Post
                  One subscriber (Nick?) clued me in to Google searches.
                  Probably. I'm always suggesting this service. If anything, you get too many hits, but if you need the news fast, this works.
                  MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls View Post
                    One subscriber (Nick?) clued me in to Google searches. You can set a google news search to email you (or presumably your phone) when it gets a hit for a player you might want. And FREE.

Do you *need* this kind of news or just want it? If you need it I'm guessing you must have some kind of first-come, first-serve claim system for your league? If so you may (or may not) want to consider a waivers system or deeper benches. We have both and it elimates the need to know news as it happens. Preferences can differ but we find it relaxing to just manage our teams and not have to chase the news all the time.

Its called google alert mark. I have done that for a few things for work. I did it over the winter with the Johan rumors as well. Its a great tool. If you do it. remember you can set it for updates once a day or as they happen.

Comment

Another vote for Rotowire here. It's worth the small price you pay. Between it, the quality and timliness of most of BHQ's content, and some VERY good in depth forum discussion - even if you use the search function to find it - of players and their predicaments that I haven't seen anywhere else, you should be covered.

Most of the people who contribute to our forums - whether HQ personnel or unpaid subscribers - are second to none. Many teams and players are covered here as well as or better than they are covered anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by JOCK@HQ View Post
                        Most of the people who contribute to our forums - whether HQ personnel or unpaid subscribers - are second to none. Many teams and players are covered here as well as or better than they are covered anywhere else.
                        It's true.....I've heard thousands of pieces of news first here over the last couple of years. Injuries - you'll hear it. Implosions - you'll hear it. Trades - you'll hear it. Demotions - you'll hear it. Forum members (like Savoirfaire) are everywhere!
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                        Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Working...
                        X