Incorrect OBP Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect OBP Stats

I just noticed that the historical OBP stats for ARod and Giambi are wrong on their PlayerLink pages (I just looked for last year). I think you might have failed to include HBP.
    some of my music here

Our OBP numbers don't include HBP, you're correct. That's site-wide, not just on those two guys.

Comment

Ray, is this an accident that you intend to correct? Or, do you do it on purpose because there is no persistence in HBP numbers? It makes a pretty big difference for some guys (like ARod). Should I be the OBP for guys who happened to have a lot of HBPs? What about a Craig Biggio?
      some of my music here

Comment

It's been this way forever, and to my knowledge you're the first to really make an issue of it. The number of players who have enough HBP for it to make a real difference is pretty small. For most guys, you can add ~10 OBP points to account for the HBPs and be in good shape.

Comment

Okay. Thanks.
          some of my music here

Comment

Research has shown that HBP is not a measure of batting skill but of pitching lack-of-skill so we have always left it out of the OBP stat. We have never claimed to be a source of "official" statistics. We always focus on skill.
            "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X