Data mgmt suggestions for website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data mgmt suggestions for website

We were talking in this thread about adding some downloads for Mixed Leagues. I'm starting this here as a place for other similar suggestions. Just ideas to think about - not complaints or demands. Thanks.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

As mentioned in other thread.....

On this page

A mixed league format would be nice. And a link to a Glossary.

Other ideas....
    In the stats provided in those files could you include
    - Games (G) for hitters?
    - Games played by positions for hitters? ("Pos" is useless for customized leagues)
    - Games Started (GS) for pitchers
    - Errors (E) for hitters might be useful (for any leagues that try to incorporate defense).
    Last edited by Markus_ls; 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

(Can you tell I'm working on my model/season prep today? )

Perspective:
      For a long time I've been downloading archive season data from USA Today...

It's a little clunky in that I have to convert from text to excel and have to append the positions played data from a separate file. But the txt to xls conversion is mere minutes and the appending is easy because the files match very closely.

I would love to convert to using HQ downloads to build my models from. Especially since you have metrics like PX, SX, etc not in other sources and since you have player demographics like age, handedness, etc. The problem is the lack of positions played data and GS for pitchers. These are critical for quickly calculating eligibility for customized formats (which I play). I think the absence of those is the main reason why HQ is not the best source right now.

Also did CBS last year for the first time and they have data downloads better than USA Today. You can only download 15 cats a time through the customized report but you can do 2 separately and they match up perfectly so easy to append (and no limit to number of cats). They also can do 3 year summary data, which is nice. They still lack PX, SX, handedness, age, etc but seem the quickest way to get the stats and positions played.

So that's why I'm suggesting you add Games Played by Position and GS to your download - I think it would elevate yours above those two other sources (at least from my perspective). And I don't know if those are easy or hard for you to add.

Best,
      -Mark

Comment

Working...
      X