Simple question from newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question from newbie

In a straight CBSsportsline NL-only draft (multi-list), I find players listed at positions different than as shown in your draft guide. For example, they list NYM Phillips at catcher. Do I just take the dollar value for him from your guide and place him where that dollar value would place him (which would be behind only Piazza among NL catchers which seems kinda high)?

First, let me say I don't have any experience with straight draft leagues. However, what I've read on HQ (and other places) about players with eligibility at multiple positions says they are more valuable, say $1 per extra position (essay on RotoHQ). So yeah, drop Phillips straight across. The dollar values are based on production and position, so it's probably not exact, but close enough the extra position covers the difference.

(Dollar value come from production, but you should find positions have players with positive value only as deep as your league drafts. For example, a 10-team league with two catchers per team should show positive value for 20 catchers).
    "A republic if you can keep it."

Comment

Some on-line leagues seem to ignore multi-position eligibility until after the draft. Post draft, the additional positions are added, creating some great opportunities for the informed consumer, i.e., the BBHQ subscriber.

For example, Jason Phillips showed up only at 1B in my on-line drafts. I was able to draft him as a low-end 1B, rather than a good C. Then I'd fill out my roster with a disposable C or one with some potential upside, and move Phillips behind the plate when the position is added shortly after the draft.

Of course having him show up at C rather than at 1B doesn't help. But this is just an example. I'm always looking to take advantage of quirks like that.

Comment

Working...
      X