Hitting/Pitching Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting/Pitching Split

Mixed 10-team, 5x5 straight (snake) draft league.

10 hitters, 8 pitchers (two are closers).

How should I set the hitting/pitching split, and what do the ratios mean?

This will depend on you and your league. If you want to favor pitching you can allocate more money to spend on the pitching side and vice versa. I would first examine your league and see how they value their players; this can help you determine your splits.
    Thanks,

Steve

Comment

That's the problem, it's a 28-round draft without dollar values assigned.

I'll favor hitting more than pitching because it's more reliable, but don't know which split to select.

Comment

There was a question a while back on here about what to do with straight draft leagues. I think the info was to leave the base value at $260, and try best to assess your feelings based on the catergories you use. It is ultimately up to you for the value you place on hitting/pitching.

Here is a paste of the answer I was talking about

Originally posted by JeffH@HQ [/i]
        [B]Since straight drafts don't use dollar values the best thing to do is leave it at the standard $260. It is the only way you have of compiling all your stat categories into a single value for comparison purposes. These values won't be straight draft values but they will give you an idea of how players compare to each other
        Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Thanks very much. My remaining confusion has to do with understanding splits. If I want to favor hitting and pitching closely, do I choose 155:105? And if I want to favor hitting as much as possible over pitching, do I choose 190:70?

Comment

On another post, Jeff Howard indicated that he uses a "180/80" hitting/pitching split for straight drafts. I am not sure that I understand the theory behind the "hitting/pitching" splits for auctions (or drafts for that matter). For budget purposes, I can see skewing my dollars or draft choices in favor of hitting, but I don't how the dollar values that a pitcher is projected to earn should be reduced based upon my personal preferance for hitting over pitching.

Comment

October... the answer to your question is yes... 190/70 is the heaviest toward hitting
              Thanks,

Steve

Comment

69% / 31%

October, I would split the values between hitting and pitching at: 69% hittting and 31% pitching. I think if you go much below 31% you won't have a balanced team coming out of the draft.

I did a straight-draft this past weekend (FSIC Experts League) and I used the 69/31 split. It worked out fantastic for me.

Comment

Thanks Neil.

I admit I'm a math moron, but I don't see a 69/31 split in the pulldown split menu. There is a 180:80 (AL 5x5) split there, which gives me 2.25 if I divide 180 by 80 (69 div. by 31 = 2.26).

Should I use the 180:80?

Comment

180/260 = .692 or 69.2%
                    80/260 = .307 or 30.7%

The 180:80 split is just about exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X