Player Projections-Sorting by Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Projections-Sorting by Position

I play in a point style league, and it is so simple to download the projections and plug in the formulas to forecast the players points for my particular league.

Now, what I have always done in prep for the draft is to sort players by postion. Yet, I have had to go and change all the outfielders to a "7". In order to deal with to multi-position guys, I copy and paste their stats as many times as needed, then assign them one position for each line. For example, Craig Wilson would have three lines, one with a position of "2", another "3", and the last one a "7".

So, is there an easier way way for me to do this? And, would one viable solution be for HQ to dedicate a number of columns, albeit narrow, and assign one column for each position?

One last thing . . .why ARE the outfielders assigned positions for left, center, and right? Is that for a certain format(s) required by some league?

Some leagues do separate out their OFs. Your solution is the same one I use.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Kneale

Explain..."plug in the formulas to forecast the players points for my particular league"...

I am playing in a point stlye head to head league this year for the first time, and I have been strugling with draft prep.

Thanks

Comment

Kneale,

What software are you downlonading into? If it's excel, then there's a much easier way to do it using the filter function.
        "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance." -- James Madison

Comment

LEC

I download the projections to a spreadsheet (I use Quattro Pro). Then, I add a column and title it points. Using the point system from my league, create a formula for the first hitter (or pitcher). Then, I just copy that cell onto all the rest of the cells in that "Points Column". From there, I sort by points. I also sort by position first, then points. It takes me about 20 minutes each update to adjust the position numbers, which is why I was curious if there was an easier way. If you need more info, just let me know.

Kneale

Comment

kefischer

I don't use EXCEL, but the Quattro Pro program has filter functions. So, if there's a way to take a Craig Wilson type, who's eligible at three positions, and have him show up in a sort of catchers (2), first basemen (3), and outfielders (7 or 8 or 9), I'd really like to know about it. Thanks for the offer!

Comment

In excel, you'd clikc on the filter function, and in the drop down box there'd be an option that would allow you to type in a series of letters that you could use as a filtering criteria. I think the option is called "containing" and it would pull up every line associated with that column that "contains" whatever you typed. So if you typed in a 2, it'll pull up wilson because of the 2 in the 932 that represents his position eligibility. Filter again for 9, and he should come up again. It works in excel, but I don't know squat about quattro pro.
              "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance." -- James Madison

Comment

kefischer,

That tip you gave about sorting by positions using the filters worked just as you said it would!!! Man, that was a lot of wasted time over the years that I did. Oh well, thanks to you, I've just saved myself at least six hours over the course of the season.

HQ subscribers rock!

Comment

Another Option

I want to preserve the multi-position indicators preserved, so what I do is add two additional columns to the sheet (there are seldom players who qualify at more than three positions, and I know for a fact that at least in the AL sheet this year, there are none). Then I do the following:

1. I do a search and replace. First, I start with all the "9"s. Then the "8"s. Then I do the "7"s too (because the position cells come in as text for some reason, so I just let S&R correct them). Then I turn all of the "77"s into "7"s.

2. Then I put the secondary and tertiary positions into the two additional columns so that each one holds just one number.

3. I usually put the players default position first, but sometimes, I will shift things around, if say for example, I think a guy whose primary position is OF is better than the last guy at 1B, I might put him at 1B so that I end up with the best players in the end.

Then I cull the list down to my league requirements by position, making sure that I have enough catchers, 1Bs, SS, etc.

Search & Replace is your friend.
                  "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"
                  - Stephen Hopkins, Delegate from RI in the film "1776"

Comment

Re: Another Option

Originally posted by maisany
                    I want to preserve the multi-position indicators preserved, so what I do is add two additional columns to the sheet (there are seldom players who qualify at more than three positions, and I know for a fact that at least in the AL sheet this year, there are none). Then I (use search-and-replace):
                    You can also use Excel's COUNT and LEFT functions with IF loops to automate it.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
                    X