Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site

Hi Guys,

I am 3 days old to this site and I was wondering if there was a page that explains some of the
    xERA Ctl Dom Cmd hr/f G/L/F descriptions and what their benchmarks may be. I am finding it difficult to
    read some of the player info in a timely manor. I was looking for something that would talk about pitchers and position player descriptions.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Skiman! The explanations for all these stats are in the "Glossary" link on the home page. You might also want to peruse the "Forecaster's Toolbox" link from the home page as well. There's a lot of information here and it'll take some time to get used to it. It took me a few years to remember the formulas and desireable benchmarks for CMD (K/BB), CTRL (BB/9), DOM (K/9), and so on.

Good luck and be patient--there's a lot to learn!
    18 team mixed dynasty league, HR/OPS/2b+3b+ns/RA/QS/App+S+H
    4x4, 10 team mixed league, 5 keepers
    10 team AL only 5x5

Comment

There's also a New Users Guide on the subscriber home page.
      "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Welcome. I've been around for years and I'm still getting comfortable with some of the terms and indicators. Don't worry if some things seem cryptic at first. You pick them up as you go along.
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
        Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. Even though I am far from new to the fantasy world, these terms are making me cross-eyed. I've got my work cut out for me. Thanks again.

Skiman

Comment

The general idea is that results are due to both skill and fortune. Skills are more consistent from one year to the next. Hence, BBHQ tries to analyze (and sometimes creates confusing metrics for) skills and then project what the results should be based on those skills and average fortunes.
            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Don't try and take in too much. Maybe get comfortable with the major terms and work in to the others. Command and Dom for pitchers, for example.
              What's the rumpus?

Comment

xBA and xERA

I see these used in tandem with ERA and BA numbers. What does the (x) represent? Usually the ERA and BA differ from those numbers with the (x) in front. I also see these when describing a batter or pitcher with some bad luck and stuff when, especially with pitchers, all of the other numbers point to an era that should be lower. I did not see these terms (xERA or xBA) in the glossary.

Thanks again.

BTW-Great pic and quote, Tom. One of the greatest movies ever.

Skiman

Comment

"x" is generally used to mean "expected". In the cases of xERA and xBA, those numbers indicate what BA and ERA "should" be for that player's skills. You can see the actual formulas in the glossary. Sizable differences between the "x" and the actual indicate a correction is on the way.

Comment

Well said, Ray. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Sometimes if I can't find something in the glossary it's because I'm looking under "expected BA" and it's listed under "xBA" (alphabetically) or vice versa.

Those formulas are pretty complex and involved (which leaves lots of room for error). I think they are excellent as a general guide like "hmm, maybe this pitcher should be a little better" but they should not be used as tools of "precision". You cannot count on a player achieving his xBA or xERA. It really just means "should be better" or "should be worse".

Or at least that's how I use them.
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Thanks Markus. Every little bit helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X